This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.8792 / 52°52'45"N
Longitude: -4.5215 / 4°31'17"W
OS Eastings: 230418
OS Northings: 334284
OS Grid: SH304342
Mapcode National: GBR 56.QL3Q
Mapcode Global: WH44G.JW4L
Entry Name: Church of St Michael
Listing Date: 19 October 1971
Last Amended: 15 July 1998
Source ID: 4267
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Situated some 600m SE of the B4415 road, approx 2.4 km W SW of the village of Rhydyclafdy.
Locality: Llanfihangel Bachellaeth
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Anglican church, set in unusual 5-sided walled churchyard. Present building possibly C17, with registers begining in 1692 although probably on an earlier site. 1847 gallery, and restored 1888. Bell dated 1891. Late medieval font. Church is disused (1997).
Anglican church. Small rectangular structure of granite rubble walls with dressed stone openings. Purple slate roof with coped gables, gabled W bellcote and E cross finial. E end later C19 pointed 2-light window with coloured latticed glazing and plate tracery. Side walls each have three small lattice-glazed C19 lancets. W end boarded pointed doorway, stone surround but brick to inner jambs. Small round window over, with latticed glazing, C19 bellcote with single bell in pointed opening. Brick and stone stair of 7 steps against W end of N wall to boarded gallery door with flat stone head.
Internally undivided with a 9-bay roof of seven C19 arch-braced collar-trusses, with triple purlins. Timber panelled W gallery with C20 boarding beneath and reset C19 pointed door. Plain C19 pine pews with flat ends and long-panelled backs. Plain pine pulpit and desk, with cusped panelling. Sanctuary has pine raised boarded floor, with stick baluster Gothic altar-rail. Walls are painted stucco with pine dado. Octagonal late medieval gritstone font with pedestal.
Included as a simple rural church of C17 origins and simple C19 interior including unusual W gallery reached by external stair.
Other nearby listed buildings