This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.9231 / 52°55'23"N
Longitude: -4.2309 / 4°13'51"W
OS Eastings: 250118
OS Northings: 338513
OS Grid: SH501385
Mapcode National: GBR 5K.MYJ4
Mapcode Global: WH44D.ZSFH
Entry Name: Bryn Hir
Listing Date: 2 August 1949
Last Amended: 12 December 1994
Source ID: 4397
Building Class: Domestic
Location: In wooded grounds on the N side of the town, close to Lon Ednyfed.
Community: Criccieth (Cricieth)
Built-Up Area: Criccieth
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
The house developed from a single room cottage, dated 1631, which forms part of the present rear wing. This was extended at the end of the C17 with an addition to the S (post 1690), and in 1751, the house was massively extended by the addition of what is now the main range. There is a stone inscribed with this date alongside a side doorway. This work was carried out by the Rev. John Jones, who had the living of Criccieth between 1746 and 1772. It was probably remodelled again c1800, and the present kitchen wing may have been added at this time, to give a rectangular groups plan to the main house; it was again enlarged in the later C19 (between 1889 and 1900) with the construction of a single storeyed extension to the E.
The main range is rendered over rubble; slate roof with pronounced overhand, end wall stacks and small inserted dormer windows. 2 storeyed, 5-window range with central entrance, 4-pane sash windows on each floor, and traceried overlight to 3-panelled paired entrance doors. Verandah with glazed roof carried on cat iron columns runs the length of the ground floor. Gabled single storeyed extension to the right, probably built as a billiards room or ball room c1890 has canted bay windows in each gable end. Rear wing of the house incorporates the earliest elements of it: the original cottage is to the N, and is a low 2 storeys, though probably originally only a single storey (the traces of an earlier roof line are visible in the gable wall); single unit plan with doorway to the left with rough stone lintel, 4-pane sash windows replacing the original openings. Stack on right hand gable. Dated on a stone inside the doorway. A later C17 extension to the S has a single 12-pane sash window to ground floor, and 2x4 -pane sashes above. Small right hand gable stack.
The cottage which forms the rear wing of the house has a deep fireplace incorporating a bread oven on its gable wall, and a scroll-stopped chamfered axial beam. The later extension of this range also has an end wall stack. Present staircase alongside inserted axial chimney - the original staircase may have been alongside the original gable end chimney. The axial beam in its single room has a stepped chamfer stop. The main range of 1751 retains a number of original features, including the staircase which is divided from the central entrance hall by an archway with fluted pilasters. The staircase rises through 4 flights and has turned balusters and swept rail, ornately scrolled tread ends and dado panelling. 2 ground floor rooms retain the original wall panelling, with enriched modillion cornice in SE room, and the third (to the SW) has reeded arches to either side of the fireplace. Several rooms have late C18 cast iron hob grates.
An important mid C18 house which retains much of its original character, and which is also of interest for its development history, in which successive phases of building from an early C17 single unit cottage can still be clearly traced.
Other nearby listed buildings