This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.8142 / 52°48'51"N
Longitude: -4.5324 / 4°31'56"W
OS Eastings: 229429
OS Northings: 327081
OS Grid: SH294270
Mapcode National: GBR 55.VPH8
Mapcode Global: WH44V.BJZD
Entry Name: The School House
Listing Date: 23 February 1976
Last Amended: 1 April 1998
Source ID: 4604
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated in Llanengan village just NE of the church, on E side of the road to Llangian.
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Former National School built in 1847-8 for the parish of Llanengan. The Jacobean style of the gables suggests an architect's design, and it is possible that the school is by Henry Kennedy who was restoring the church at the time. Converted to a house c1980 and clad in pebbledash, previously exposed stone.
Former school, pebbledash and stucco, unpainted, with slate roofs. Single large schoolroom range, single-storey with Jacobean style gables to centre of W front and N and S ends. Dressed stone plinth. Gables are shouldered with two curves each side, step between and top finial. End gables have ogee top curves and ball finial, W gable has quadrant top curves and bellcote with shouldered ogee-curved gable and ball finial. Copings are cement and all renewed. Windows are plain flat cement mullion-and- transom type, 4-light each end and 2x3-lights to centre of W front. C20 stained wood glazing. In gables are small louvred lights, in flush cement surrounds.
To rear is former teacher's house, single storey with 2 parallel slate roofs and stack between. Stack is of rendered brick with panelled sides and 2 diagonally-set shafts. Rooflight to front pitch over main window. S and N sides have pointed doorway and 4-pane sash. Ledged doors and radiating bar fan to S doorway.
Listed as an architecturally elaborate school building for the period, unusually in the Jacobean style.
Other nearby listed buildings