This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.8163 / 52°48'58"N
Longitude: -4.5335 / 4°32'0"W
OS Eastings: 229360
OS Northings: 327312
OS Grid: SH293273
Mapcode National: GBR 55.VP5S
Mapcode Global: WH44V.BGFT
Entry Name: The Old Rectory
Listing Date: 1 April 1998
Last Amended: 1 April 1998
Source ID: 19612
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated some 300m N of Llanengan village on E side of road to Llangian, backing onto lane to Fron Deg.
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Former Llanengan rectory, originally built c1805 by the Rev William Lloyd as a three-bay late Georgian house with centre pedimental gable and lunette over tripartite sashes, the entry was from the right side. The house was of stone hung with slates. This was much altered in 1860 by Henry Kennedy, who added a second gabled section to the right with new dining-room, altered the windows and extended a timber veranda across the whole front. The works cost £630. In the later C20 the first storey of the left end was removed after a fire.
Former rectory, stucco with slate roofs and two brick ridge chimneys. Overhanging eaves with gable timber finials. Two storeys with attic, 4-window range, with projecting gables in 2nd and 4th bays. The left 3 bays are the original house with the first of the gabled bays being the original centre. This retains the original attic lunette but has paired plate glass sashes to first floor and ground floor. Section to left has lost its first floor and has large ground floor sash. Section to right is now entry with big half-glazed doors and side-lights. First floor 4-pane sash. Added gable to right has pair of first floor plate-glass sashes with blank arches over, and two 4-pane sashes below. Across whole front is 1860 veranda with slate roof, timber octagonal posts and fretted eaves boards. The veranda is in 4 sections each of 3 bays with the middle opening of each bay wider. The second and fourth sections project with shallow open gables to centre bays. The veranda floor is slate. Right end wall of house has pair of plate glass sashes over pair of 4-pane sashes. Rear has lower hipped section to left, and 2 gables of differing height behind centre.
Attached at N end is single storey outbuilding, early C19, with slate roof, curved NE corner to stable yard, N end coach-entry with double doors and NW attached gatepier. Stuccoed front, rubble stone to rear court.
Listed as a mid C19 rectory of special interest as representing the remodelling of an earlier C19 building and retaining its rustic Italianate character, including a fine timber veranda.
Other nearby listed buildings