History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Lychgate at St Paul's Chruch

A Grade II* Listed Building in Brithdir and Llanfachreth (Brithdir a Llanfachreth), Gwynedd

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.771 / 52°46'15"N

Longitude: -3.7851 / 3°47'6"W

OS Eastings: 279669

OS Northings: 320762

OS Grid: SH796207

Mapcode National: GBR 64.YK1N

Mapcode Global: WH67N.TMS1

Plus Code: 9C4RQ6C7+CX

Entry Name: Lychgate at St Paul's Chruch

Listing Date: 17 June 1966

Last Amended: 26 May 1995

Grade: II*

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 4713

Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary

Location: Facing the lane on the SE side of the churchyard.

County: Gwynedd

Community: Brithdir and Llanfachreth (Brithdir a Llanfachreth)

Community: Brithdir and Llanfachreth

Locality: Bryn-Coed-Ifor

Traditional County: Merionethshire

Tagged with: Lychgate

Find accommodation in


Lychgate dated 1906; in Arts and Crafts style. Erected in memory of Charles Edward Jones-Owen of Hengwrt Ucha by his friends, tenants and employees. The bold and sophisticated design is reminiscent of the work of Henry Wilson, architect of London and a leading Arts and Crafts figure at the turn of the century. Wilson designed the nearby church of St. Mark's Brithdir in 1895 and it is possible that his designs for the lychgate there, which were not then executed, were subsequently employed here.


Rubble construction with pyramidal slate roof feathered out slightly towards the eaves. Essentially square with concave sides extended to give the impression of diagonal buttresses; these taper slightly, a characteristic feature of Wilson's work. Decorative lead guttering to each face with cable moulding and stylised foliate bosses in shallow relief; exposed beam ends below. Set back beneath this on the entrance sides and supported on triangular corbels, heavy oak double lintels with oak infill blocks in between. The lintels are concave and therefore complement the convex sweep of the inner sides. Welsh and English biblical inscriptions to road and church-facing sides respectively. 3 plain rectangular lights to flanking sides. Surmounting the roof a lead figure of an angel. Later (1936) plain oak gates to the road front.


Plastered dome carried on a round pegged oak frame; flat applied plaster decoration of crosses and foliage. Intricately designed and carved oak boss with the date 1906. Segmental oak benches to the sides.

Reasons for Listing

Included at Grade II* as a highly sophisticated and inspired example of an Arts and Crafts lychgate, perhaps designed by Henry Wilson.

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II St Paul's Church
    Located 250m SE of the Afon Wnion and the A 494 in its own churchyard, at the end of a lane in the centre of Bryn-Coed-Ifor.
  • II Felin Newydd
    Situated approximately 1km SW of Rhydymain at the northern-most end of Bryn-Coed-Ifor, between the main road and the Afon Wnion; set into a steep slope.
  • II Former Farmhouse at Felin Newydd
    Located approximately 1km SW of Rhydymain at the northern-most edge of Bryn-Coed-Ifor, between the main road and the Afon Wnion; set into the slope immediately up-hill from the water mill.
  • II Former Farmhouse at Cefn-Creuan-Uchaf
    Situated on a rise to the E of an unclassified road leading from Brithdir to Bryn-Coed-Ifor; at the end of a short farm track.
  • II Carleg
    Located 2km E of the Bont Newydd, on the roadside.
  • II Carleg
    Located 2km E of the Bont Newydd, on the roadside.
  • II Pont Helygog
    Spanning the Nant Helygog about 3km E of Brithdir on the old course of the Roman road from Dolgellau to Bala (now a trackway).
  • II Helygog
    Located about 2Km E of Brithdir village N of the old Roman road from Dolgellau to Bala; accessed via a long farm track leading W from a lane leading N from the Roman road to the A 494.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.