History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Former Farmhouse at Felin Newydd

A Grade II Listed Building in Brithdir and Llanfachreth (Brithdir a Llanfachreth), Gwynedd

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.7755 / 52°46'31"N

Longitude: -3.7847 / 3°47'4"W

OS Eastings: 279709

OS Northings: 321260

OS Grid: SH797212

Mapcode National: GBR 64.YC4G

Mapcode Global: WH67N.THZL

Entry Name: Former Farmhouse at Felin Newydd

Listing Date: 26 November 1993

Last Amended: 26 May 1995

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 5257

Building Class: Domestic

Location: Located approximately 1km SW of Rhydymain at the northern-most edge of Bryn-Coed-Ifor, between the main road and the Afon Wnion; set into the slope immediately up-hill from the water mill.

County: Gwynedd

Community: Brithdir and Llanfachreth (Brithdir a Llanfachreth)

Community: Brithdir and Llanfachreth

Locality: Bryn-Coed-Ifor

Traditional County: Merionethshire

Find accommodation in
Llanfachreth

History

Dated 1796; part of a farm complex, now dissused, which includes the well-preserved water-driven corn mill.

Exterior

2-storey farmhouse; built of local rubble with slate roof and square-headed openings. To R, a low chimney stack with weather coursing on the gable end over a derelict lean-to. The main front has an off-centre entrance with flanking windows and 2 further windows under the eaves; all openings are unglazed. Gabled cross-range to L, open to the rear and to the N side, forming a hay barn. External stepped access to upper entrance on main gabled front with further ground-floor entrance beyond.

Interior

Main fireplace bressummer is inscribed 'R W V 1796' (for Robert Williames Vaughan of Nannau).

Reasons for Listing

Included as a dated vernacular late C18 farmhouse and for group value with Felin Newydd mill.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Felin Newydd
    Situated approximately 1km SW of Rhydymain at the northern-most end of Bryn-Coed-Ifor, between the main road and the Afon Wnion; set into a steep slope.
  • II* Lychgate at St Paul's Chruch
    Facing the lane on the SE side of the churchyard.
  • II St Paul's Church
    Located 250m SE of the Afon Wnion and the A 494 in its own churchyard, at the end of a lane in the centre of Bryn-Coed-Ifor.
  • II Former Farmhouse at Cefn-Creuan-Uchaf
    Situated on a rise to the E of an unclassified road leading from Brithdir to Bryn-Coed-Ifor; at the end of a short farm track.
  • II Carleg
    Located 2km E of the Bont Newydd, on the roadside.
  • II Carleg
    Located 2km E of the Bont Newydd, on the roadside.
  • II Llwyn-y-Cynfal
    Located approximately 600m NE of Rhydymain on the slope of the hill above the Afon Wnion; accessed via a track leading from a lane running NE from the A 494 near the Pont Rhyd-ddwl.
  • II Blaenau
    Located about 2km NW of Rhydymain at the end of a long lanel eading NW form the A 494 near the Pont Rhyd-ddwl.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.