This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.7332 / 52°43'59"N
Longitude: -3.8213 / 3°49'16"W
OS Eastings: 277118
OS Northings: 316619
OS Grid: SH771166
Mapcode National: GBR 93.0XFG
Mapcode Global: WH67V.8KLH
Plus Code: 9C4RP5MH+7F
Entry Name: Gwana Fawr
Listing Date: 17 June 1966
Last Amended: 26 May 1995
Source ID: 4715
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Located on a rise some 4.2km S of Brithdir to the S of the A470; accessed via an unmetalled track.
Community: Brithdir and Llanfachreth (Brithdir a Llanfachreth)
Community: Brithdir and Llanfachreth
Traditional County: Merionethshire
Early Medieval grange of the Knights Hospitallers based at Ysbyty Ifan; mentioned in 1284 though apparently tenanted by the early C16. The porch to the former chapel survives in part, re-located to Gwanas farm; otherwise the present buildings are predominantly post-Dissolution. A pair of crucks from a former open hall survives within the present house and is probably late Medieval. The present house is a mid/third-quarter C16 storeyed range which was added at right-angles to the primary hall range. The latter was almost entirely rebuilt during a substantial intervention c. 1722 (the date appears within); later cart-shedand dairy additions. The house was extensively modernised some 25 years ago.
Rubble construction, part boulder-built with modern slate roofs; modern doors and windows throughout. Principally of one-and-a-half storeys and roughly S-plan. Main (W) front with near-central entrance and flanking windows; 3 hipped dormers above and rebuilt chimney to the L. Modern extensions to the rear and a further, modern dormer, hipped as before. The E wing (mid/late C16) has its primary entrance to the N. This is a chamfered round-arched entrance with deeply recessed boarded door. Reduced window to L and a small squint-light to the R. Rebuilt dormers above, as before and to the rear, a further dormer and a glazed door leading to a modern patio. Gable end chimney to E with moulded capping; contemporary square stair-light to R with chamfered reveals and projecting stone lintel. Modern lean-to extensions beyond. Single-storey dairy range attached to S with external stepped access to attic and to N of the W range, a continuously-roofed former cart shed; 2 openings.
One cruck truss survives in the upper floor of the W range with evidence for former windbracing. Stopped-chamfered main beams to ground floor ceiling, that to the S bearing carved initials D L K and date 1722. Broach-stopped chamfered beams to E range and plain-stopped lintels to N window and to a large end fireplace; this with stone mural corkscrew stair to R.
Included notwithstanding modernisation as a sub-Medieval house with fragmentary Medieval core and for the historical importance of the site as a former Hospitaller grange.
Other nearby listed buildings