This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.7425 / 52°44'33"N
Longitude: -3.8321 / 3°49'55"W
OS Eastings: 276417
OS Northings: 317674
OS Grid: SH764176
Mapcode National: GBR 93.074X
Mapcode Global: WH67V.3BGC
Entry Name: Caerynwch
Listing Date: 26 May 1995
Last Amended: 26 May 1995
Source ID: 16039
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Located in its own park 2km SE of Brithdir in a hollow facing the Afon Clywedog; at the end of a long drive running S from the Pont ar Ddibin.
Community: Brithdir and Llanfachreth (Brithdir a Llanfachreth)
Community: Brithdir and Llanfachreth
Traditional County: Merionethshire
Late C18 Georgian country house built by Lord Chief Baron Richards of the exchequer who married the heiress of the nearby Old Caerynwch. Altered and extended c.1860, and c.1901 by the Richards family; modern additions.
Of large, rough-dressed stone blocks with shallow-pitched hipped slate roofs and deep oversailing eaves. Amorphous plan, mainly of 2 storeys. The primary block is to the S and is essentially square. 4-bay S (entrance) front with off-centre entrance to bay 3. This has a C19 single-storey portico with plain paired pillars and plain entablature with part-dentillated cornice. Part-glazed C19 double entrance doors and C20 multi-pane glazed sides. Tall C19 6-pane windows to the ground floor (C19 and elegant, slightly recessed original 12-pane sashes to the first floor. Adjoining to the R and slightly advanced, a single-storey 2-bay addition with shallow hipped roof as before; long 12-pane sash windows. Symmetrical W (garden) front with 2 wide, shallow storeyed bow windows flanking a slightly recessed central bay. C19 glazing: French windows to the latter with wooden C19 canted bays attached to the bows on the ground floor; these with plain-sash windows. Tripartite sash windows to the upper bows with a further plain sash to the first floor centre.
Adjoining to the N a storeyed 3-bay extension of c.1860; construction as before. Plain sashes to both floors with central storeyed bay window. Further, single-storey extension beyond with similar bay; built as a billiard room c.1901. Part-rendered E (service) side with modern additions.
The house stands on a raised terrace which steps-down to the W.
This was not inspected during the survey (February 1995). However, panelled doors, contemporary plaster cornices and a fine central stair well with swept-rail stairs and iron balusters are known to survive.
A large, restrained late C18 house with additions and alterations but retaining much of its elegance and character.
Other nearby listed buildings