History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Barn to S of Hendre Fridd y Mynach

A Grade II Listed Building in Brithdir and Llanfachreth (Brithdir a Llanfachreth), Gwynedd

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.7956 / 52°47'44"N

Longitude: -3.7726 / 3°46'21"W

OS Eastings: 280580

OS Northings: 323481

OS Grid: SH805234

Mapcode National: GBR 65.WVFT

Mapcode Global: WH67H.0ZTP

Entry Name: Barn to S of Hendre Fridd y Mynach

Listing Date: 11 December 1991

Last Amended: 26 May 1995

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 5242

Building Class: Agriculture and Subsistence

Location: Diagonally opposite Hendre Ffridd y Mynach and attached to it by a high rubble wall.

County: Gwynedd

Community: Brithdir and Llanfachreth (Brithdir a Llanfachreth)

Community: Brithdir and Llanfachreth

Locality: Rhydymain

Traditional County: Merionethshire

Find accommodation in
Llanfachreth

History

Originally part of the property of Cymmer Abbey and transfered to private ownership in 1562; subsequently the property was conveyed in 1582 from Elizabeth Multon, widow, to John Hill, gentleman of London.

Exterior

Single-storey rubble and slated barn with gable parapets; lower rear wall set into a slope. Outside stone stepped access to W gable entrance under long lintel. Long side attached to L to high rubble wall; boarded primary entrance with modern garage opening to R.

Interior

4-bay with three early roof trusses including one pegged cruck truss (with arched collar) supported by a rough tie beam on walls of upper end; no wall plates but timber lintels overboarded doorways flanking cobbled through-passage. 2 lesser trusses with pegged-on collars as before. Bressummer beam divides lower end which was originally floored. Various ventilation slits.

Reasons for Listing

Group value with Hendre Ffridd y Mynach.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Ty-Cerig Blaenau
    Located 1km N of Rhydymain overlooking the Afon Wnion on an elevated site; accessed via a long farm track leading NE from a lane joining the A 494 near Pont Rhyd-ddwl.
  • II Barn at Ty Mawr including attached Water-Wheel
    Situated opposite Ty Mawr and at right-angles with it.
  • II Ty Mawr
    Located about 1km NE of Rhydymain; accessed via a farm track from the A 494 Dolgellau Bala road; in its own farmyard.
  • II Llwyn-y-Cynfal
    Located approximately 600m NE of Rhydymain on the slope of the hill above the Afon Wnion; accessed via a track leading from a lane running NE from the A 494 near the Pont Rhyd-ddwl.
  • II Blaenau
    Located about 2km NW of Rhydymain at the end of a long lanel eading NW form the A 494 near the Pont Rhyd-ddwl.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.