This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.7883 / 52°47'18"N
Longitude: -3.7691 / 3°46'8"W
OS Eastings: 280792
OS Northings: 322664
OS Grid: SH807226
Mapcode National: GBR 65.XGWG
Mapcode Global: WH67P.25GQ
Plus Code: 9C4RQ6QJ+89
Entry Name: Ty Mawr
Listing Date: 26 May 1995
Last Amended: 26 May 1995
Source ID: 16056
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Located about 1km NE of Rhydymain; accessed via a farm track from the A 494 Dolgellau Bala road; in its own farmyard.
Community: Brithdir and Llanfachreth (Brithdir a Llanfachreth)
Community: Brithdir and Llanfachreth
Traditional County: Merionethshire
Second-half C17 storied farmhouse of 2 separate, yet connected domestic units; an unusual extension of the unit system. Dated 1666 on a former screen, the main accommodation, occupied the 3 right-hand bays and the lesser (parental?) accommodation formed the 3 L bays; these lack the refinement in detailing of the main rooms, yet the range is clearly of a single build and the units were divided formerly by an internal post-and-panel screen.
Rubble on one-and-a-half stories with a modern slate roof; stone-coped and kneelered gable parapets with end chimneys with weather-coursing and capping. Entrance with flanking, irregular windows to each unit; inappropriate modern doors and glazing throughout. 4 irregularly-
spaced gabled dormers to roof, 2 to each unit; modern glazing to windows as before. Central gabled extension to rear, a mid/third-quarter C19 remodelling of an earlier, though not primary lean-to addition. Further modern windows (original openings). Small Ty bach lean-to to R.
Large fireplaces to both gable ends of the 2 units; that to R with ogee-stopped chamfered bressummer and pegged oak frame to former shelved salt-box recess to L (a child's boot and some animal bones were recently found when this was re-opened). The opposite fireplace has cruder run-off stops. Ogee-stopped ceiling joists and beams to upper (R) ceilings and mostly original run-off stopped beams to the L unit. Modern part-open wall and screen now divide the unit spaces; an ex-situ door-head section bearing the carved date 1666 belonged to the (recently destroyed) screen. 6-bay roof to upper floor with original oak boarded screens dividing bays 3 and 4 and part of 4 and 5. The truss between 5 and 6 has been replaced; the remainder are original upper-cruck trusses with pegged collars.
Listed notwithstanding modern alterations as an unusual C17 domestic building plan-type with some surviving internal detail.
Other nearby listed buildings