This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.7199 / 52°43'11"N
Longitude: -4.0515 / 4°3'5"W
OS Eastings: 261537
OS Northings: 315559
OS Grid: SH615155
Mapcode National: GBR 8T.1M41
Mapcode Global: WH56L.QWYQ
Entry Name: St David's Church
Listing Date: 2 April 1992
Last Amended: 31 January 1995
Source ID: 5245
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Prominently located at the approach to the lower part of the town centre; on a triangular plot with Harbour Lane to the S and with stone gate piers to rubble boundary wall.
Community: Barmouth (Bermo)
Built-Up Area: Barmouth
Traditional County: Merionethshire
Built in 1830 by Edward Haycock the elder, architect of Shrewsbury as the first church in Barmouth (the parish church is at Llanaber).
Cruciform plan; in restrained Tudor style. Ashlar construction with slate roofs and coped, parapeted gables with broad kneelers and off-set finials; diagonal butresses. Gabled bell-cote to W end with eroded slate dedication plaque below. Deep hoodmoulds to Tudor-arched, cusped tracery windows, of 2 lights to Nave sides and 3 lights to E end and transepts. Blind lancets with hoodmoulds to gable apexes. Flat-topped gabled porch to W with Tudor-arched entrance and boarded doors; Gothic fanlight. Further entrance to N transept beneath window; recessed boarded door. Lean-to vestry to N, extruded in the corner between the chancel and N transept. Further, simpler lean-to onE side of S transept. Rubble plinth to E end.
Chamfered transverse beams to coved ceilings; similar beams to the crossing. Good stained glass to E window; by Alexander Gibbs of London, dated August 23 1873. Gothic octagonal wooden pulpit. Stone font with marble columns, re-set in the N transept. Contemporary choirstalls relocated to S transept. Panelled and boarded vestry door.
Listed for its special interest to the history of Barmouth and as an unaltered earlier C19 church.
Other nearby listed buildings