History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Melin Wynt y Craig

A Grade II Listed Building in Llangefni, Isle of Anglesey

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.2566 / 53°15'23"N

Longitude: -4.3028 / 4°18'10"W

OS Eastings: 246481

OS Northings: 375763

OS Grid: SH464757

Mapcode National: GBR HNR2.V3N

Mapcode Global: WH42T.WD7R

Entry Name: Melin Wynt y Craig

Listing Date: 7 August 1952

Last Amended: 16 October 1998

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 5411

Building Class: Industrial

Location: Located in a prominent, elevated position at the NE part of Llangefni; c.750m ESE of the church of St. Cyngar.

County: Isle of Anglesey

Town: Llangefni

Community: Llangefni

Community: Llangefni

Built-Up Area: Llangefni

Traditional County: Anglesey

Find accommodation in
Llangefni

History

Early C19 wind-powered cornmill, thought to have been built in 1829. Closed in 1893, by the turn of the century the mill had fallen into a bad state of repair, its sails dismantled and the machinery removed. The tower was adapted for use as a communications tower c.1990.

Exterior

Full height, 3-storey windmill tower; circular plan, with slightly tapering walls of rubble masonry originally rendered (some render remains). Doorway to N and rectangular windows (modern) at stages above; openings with flat-arch, voussoir lintels. The mill tower has a modern cap; slate faced, with broadly projecting eaves, slightly tapering sides to flat roof.

Reasons for Listing

Listed as a substantially intact windmill tower, one of only 18 surviving on Anglesey. In early-mid C19 there were over 40 windmills operating on the island, grinding the large volumes of corn then being produced.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Town Clock
    Set directly in front of the Town Hall, at the S side of Bulkeley Square in the centre of Llangefni.
  • II Town Hall
    Located at the S side of Bulkeley Square, and set back from the main street in the centre of Llangefni; c.400m SSE of the church of St. Cyngar.
  • II The Market Hotel
    Located on the N side of Bulkeley Square, directly opposite the Bull Hotel.
  • II The Bull Hotel, including stable courtyard to rear.
    Located at the SW corner of Bulkeley Square with side elevation to Glanhwfa Road.
  • II* Moriah Calvinistic Methodist Chapel including forecourt wall and gates
    Set back, behind a railed forecourt, from the E side of the A5114 Glanhwfa Road. The chapel is located directly N of the Shire Hall and is c.400m SSE of the church of St. Cyngar.
  • II Doldir
    About half way down the road, to N (L) of Capel Moriah.
  • II Shire Hall
    Set back, behind a railed forecourt encompassing the war memorial, from the E side of the A5114 Glanhwfa Road; c.450m SSE of the church of St. Cyngar.
  • II War memorial in front of the Shire Hall
    Set back from the E side of Glanhwfa Road, within a semi-circular enclosure to the R side of the entrance gates directly in front of the Shire Hall.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.