History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Smyrna Congregational Chapel and Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Llangefni, Isle of Anglesey

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.2541 / 53°15'14"N

Longitude: -4.3119 / 4°18'42"W

OS Eastings: 245862

OS Northings: 375499

OS Grid: SH458754

Mapcode National: GBR HNQ3.3MN

Mapcode Global: WH42T.QGWQ

Entry Name: Smyrna Congregational Chapel and Hall

Listing Date: 16 June 1989

Last Amended: 16 October 1998

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 5754

Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary

Location: Set back slightly from the W side of Glanhwfa Road, opposite the Shire Hall.

County: Isle of Anglesey

Town: Llangefni

Community: Llangefni

Community: Llangefni

Built-Up Area: Llangefni

Traditional County: Anglesey

Find accommodation in
Llangefni

History

Built in 1903 to replace a chapel built on the site in 1844.

Exterior

Gable entry chapel and adjacent hall, which is linked to the chapel by a vestibule to the rear. Simple Classical front faced with snecked rubble and freestone dressings, other elevations rendered. Slate roof with red clay ridge tiles and stone copings, hall with moulded kneelers. The front elevation of the chapel is symmetrically planned with the entrance in the slightly recessed central bay set under a rounded arch resting on the entablature of the outer bays and breaking the moulded gable pediment. Set within the arch is a stone tablet which reads: SMYRNA, ADDOLDY YR ANNIBNWYR, ADEILADWYD 1844, AIL-ADEILADWYD 1903 (SMYRNA, INDEPENDENT HOUSE OF WORSHIP, BUILT 1844, RE-BUILT 1903). The entrance is a round-headed, keystoned arch on Tuscan pilasters; a stained glass arched fanlight over the panelled double doors. Above the entrance is a tripartite window of 3 round-headed lights with narrow vertical and horizontal margin paned sashes; each arch has a stressed keystone, and a bracketted sill band extends across the bay. There are similarly detailed, tall windows in the flanking bays, the sill bands extending out to the Tuscan pilasters, the outermost set in slightly from the corners of the front face. Each of the outer bays has a plinth which continues down each side elevation. The entrance is raised and reached by a lateral stone staircase with sidewall. Each side elevation is rendered, 4-windows with round-headed arched, rendered surrounds; R(N) side has sash windows with vertical and horizontal margin panes, L(S) elevation is shuttered.

The shorter adjacent hall is linked to the chapel by a vestibule to the rear. Contemporary with the chapel and of the same materials, the hall has a symmetrically planned front elevation, a 2-window range with central doorway under a keyed oculus. The doorway and windows are similarly detailed to those of the front elevation of the chapel; though smaller in scale and the window sills are neither bracketted nor continuous.

Interior

The main entrance leads into a small tiled vestibule with side doors leading into the chapel beyond. The chapel has 3 ranks of raking pews, the central rank with central divider. The set fawr is at the far end and is raised by one step with side entrances flanked by plain newels capped with banded globe finials; the front is bowed with framed recessed panels under a dentilled cornice. The pulpit is rectangular, 3-bays with an advanced central bay and has side entrances raised by 3 steps; steps have shaped balusters under a moulded rails and shaped newels with banded globe finials. The front is panelled, the central bay with carved floriate inset panels, under a dentilled cornice. Behind the pulpit is a moulded plaster panel; a moulded, keystoned arch on Corithian pilasters, the capitals linked by a moulded floriate band, a Renaissance floral motif in the tympanum, 3 round-headed arched panels in the space below. The walls are ashlar scored with tongued and grooved panelling to the lower part and a moulded cornice. The ceiling is coved; the central part is of 3 recessed plaster panels with tongued and grooved borders linked by moulded floriate plaster panels at the corners. Each central panel has a floriate wooden ventilation grille at the centre, with a moulded floriate surround; moulded dividers extend out to meet the tongued and grooved borders, each divided section with acanthus leaf moulded edging. The vestibule to the rear right of the chapel leads into the vestry and adjacent hall; the hall and vestry have ashlar scored walls with tongued and grooved panelling to the lower part, and like the chapel have chamfered angles to the door panels. To the rear of the hall is a modern kitchen.

Reasons for Listing

Included as a well-preserved example of an early C20 chapel and hall which together form part of an excellent group of civic and religious buildings built at the turn of the century, reflecting the development of Llangefni as the county town. The buildings form a particularly strong group with the Shire Hall.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II County Court
    Set back slightly from the W side of Glanhwfa Road, directly opposite the War Memorial to the front of the Shire Hall.
  • II War memorial in front of the Shire Hall
    Set back from the E side of Glanhwfa Road, within a semi-circular enclosure to the R side of the entrance gates directly in front of the Shire Hall.
  • II Shire Hall
    Set back, behind a railed forecourt encompassing the war memorial, from the E side of the A5114 Glanhwfa Road; c.450m SSE of the church of St. Cyngar.
  • II* Moriah Calvinistic Methodist Chapel including forecourt wall and gates
    Set back, behind a railed forecourt, from the E side of the A5114 Glanhwfa Road. The chapel is located directly N of the Shire Hall and is c.400m SSE of the church of St. Cyngar.
  • II Doldir
    About half way down the road, to N (L) of Capel Moriah.
  • II Town Hall
    Located at the S side of Bulkeley Square, and set back from the main street in the centre of Llangefni; c.400m SSE of the church of St. Cyngar.
  • II The Bull Hotel, including stable courtyard to rear.
    Located at the SW corner of Bulkeley Square with side elevation to Glanhwfa Road.
  • II Town Clock
    Set directly in front of the Town Hall, at the S side of Bulkeley Square in the centre of Llangefni.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.