History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Customs House

A Grade II Listed Building in Holyhead (Caergybi), Isle of Anglesey

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.3147 / 53°18'52"N

Longitude: -4.6252 / 4°37'30"W

OS Eastings: 225212

OS Northings: 382960

OS Grid: SH252829

Mapcode National: GBR GMYY.B3G

Mapcode Global: WH314.XYP9

Plus Code: 9C5Q897F+VW

Entry Name: Customs House

Listing Date: 11 March 1993

Last Amended: 25 July 1994

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 5771

Building Class: Civil

Location: Situated within the security zone of the Port of Holyhead, facing south across the inner harbour that is now the ferry terminal. Adjacent to Harbour Office.

County: Isle of Anglesey

Community: Holyhead (Caergybi)

Community: Holyhead

Locality: Salt Island

Traditional County: Anglesey

Find accommodation in
Holyhead

History

Built 1821 probably to the design of John Rennie, the widely renowned engineer who specialised in the design of bridges and harbours. Modern alterations and large extension to rear. In 1810 an Act of Parliament was passed which included much needed improvement to the harbour at Holyhead which had by that time become established as the principal port for communication with Ireland, in particular it was the station for the Post Office steam packets. This work involved the construction of the Admiralty Pier and lighthouse to the east of Salt Island and included the George IV Arch, Harbour-Master’s Offices and Customs House.

Exterior

Georgian, similar design to that of the Harbour Office. 2-storeys and built of local Mona marble stone; hipped slate roof and stone chimneys with modern caps. 3-bay front framed by prominent pilasters, sill band, plinth and a shaped cornice with blocking course above. Horned small pane sash windows (modern replacements) and blocked central entrance, now with window inserted. Pebbledash right hand end with adjoining rubble wall linking Customs House with Harbour Office. Brick chimney and lean-tos at rear and large flat roof modern extension to left with horned small-pane sashes; this range projects at left end and includes present main entrance. Replacement customs offices have been built detached to rear. Interior altered in office conversion and renovation.

Reasons for Listing

Group value with the Admiralty Pier and listed buildings thereon.

Listed as an integral part of this important harbour scheme designed by Rennie.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.