This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.6843 / 51°41'3"N
Longitude: -5.088 / 5°5'16"W
OS Eastings: 186631
OS Northings: 202905
OS Grid: SM866029
Mapcode National: GBR G4.ZXH4
Mapcode Global: VH1RX.RXJQ
Plus Code: 9C3PMWM6+PQ
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 14 May 1970
Last Amended: 26 January 1996
Source ID: 5921
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
Mediaeval W tower. Most of the original church was demolished in the early C19. The present nave, chancel, transept, vestry and porch are by R K Penson, 1853. Part of N wall of nave is mediaeval.
The tower has a pointed vault at 1st floor level which opens into the nave. Domed and tiled tower roof with corbelled and crenellated parapet. Stairs turret at SW corner with a slight projection at each face. The entrance to the stairs from within the tower is about 1.4 m below the present floor level. The W window in the tower at ground storey is of late mediaeval type with an irregular hood mould and cinquefoil light heads, much restored. There is a blocked W door opening beneath. Belfry openings with stone louvres.
The church was rebuilt in Early English and Decorated styles. The external masonry is generally in uncoursed ashlar, but the N elevation is in a rougher technique to blend with the retained mediaeval masonry in part of N nave wall. Red tile roof, some recently relaid.
Mirehouse family memorials are in the nave. Some older memorials of other families were found in fragments, repaired and installed in the N transept after the rebuilding. Font of Norman cushion type, scraped.
Listed for mediaeval tower.
Other nearby listed buildings