This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.6986 / 51°41'54"N
Longitude: -4.8272 / 4°49'37"W
OS Eastings: 204718
OS Northings: 203764
OS Grid: SN047037
Mapcode National: GBR GB.S0P7
Mapcode Global: VH2PJ.8KXR
Entry Name: Wesley Chapel
Listing Date: 14 May 1970
Last Amended: 6 February 1997
Source ID: 5940
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: In Carew village, at the E side of the road approaching Carew Bridge. The Chapel stands back from the road behind a high wall with gatepiers and wrought-iron gates.
Community: Carew (Caeriw)
Locality: Carew Village
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
A Methodist congregation met in houses in Carew from the time of Wesley's visit in 1763. Before building their present chapel they met in a barn 150m N of Carew Bridge, which was probably the meeting house said to have been established in 1813. The present chapel was built in 1852. It was given a two-storeyed elevation in preparation for a gallery, but no gallery was never built. In 1883 a large N wing was added to accommodate the Sunday School. The builder was Isaac Thomas, and it was opened by Mrs Lewhellin of Honey's Park. In the early years of the C20 new pews were installed in the chapel.
The front gable elevation faces W. The roof is of slate. Later wing at the N. The front and side elevations are rendered, and the ground storey at front is emphasised with rustication. The front is a simple two-storey elevation with a pediment. In the front pediment there is an oval tablet with the words 'Wesley Chapel 1852' in white letters on a black background. Three round-headed windows to the gallery storey, each a fixed light of 16 panes with the glazing bars interlaced in the arch above a transom. Each window has a render surround and a sandstone sill. The ground storey of the front elevation has two similar windows but with 20 panes. There are central double-doors with a transom and similar interlacing above. In the side walls there are two full-height windows (one at N is concealed by the later school wing).
Large room with an entrance porch and a full-width sanctuary. The sanctuary is raised by two steps. Behind the altar table there is a small curtained recess with a moulded elliptical head. Oak table. Pine communion rails. Pews arranged in three blocks. Simple plaster cornice and decorative foliage features in the ceiling at the hanging points of the lights.
Listed as a fine rural chapel of the sub-classical phase with a characteristic two-storey elevation of restrained design.
Other nearby listed buildings