This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.6356 / 51°38'8"N
Longitude: -4.9809 / 4°58'51"W
OS Eastings: 193811
OS Northings: 197189
OS Grid: SR938971
Mapcode National: GBR G7.HVH1
Mapcode Global: VH1SC.M44Y
Plus Code: 9C3QJ2P9+7J
Entry Name: Merrion Court
Listing Date: 14 May 1970
Last Amended: 8 December 1995
Source ID: 6034
Building Class: Domestic
Location: 0.2 km N of Merrion Army Camp.
Community: Stackpole and Castlemartin (Stackpole a Chastellmartin)
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
History: Fenton in 1811 describes Merrion Court as a manor belonging to Lord Cawdor, in ruins. The new house and farm may date from about the time when leased to Lieut. Brown in 1820.
House: Early C19 house facing S with a rear wing and outbuildings. Single storey extension at W. The house two storeys, three windows range. A central arch-headed doorway, within a large hipped-roofed porch with window at front and external door at W. Recessed sash windows without horns, three and six pane sashes above, six pane sashes beneath. Thin glazing bars. Rubble masonry with rough-cast render, except for corners and window surrounds which are edged with smooth render. Hipped roof in asbestos slates. End chimneys. A large chimney at W has been further widened with an additional flue. Rear wing also has sash windows, one tucked partly behind the main range rear wall, the main range having been deepened subsequently by about 2 m.
Outbuildings: A small courtyard at rear with dairy at N. Barred windows to the dairy. At the angle where the rear wing of the house meets the dairy block there is a corn drying kiln with a drying floor and a granary with hopper above. Stable and pigeon-loft to N.
Good quality house of an important tenant holding on the Stackpole Estate, with interesting outbuildings.
References: Fenton, Historical Tour through Pembrokeshire 1811 (1903 ed.) 223
Howells, Pembrokeshire County History IV (1993) 81
Other nearby listed buildings