This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.856 / 51°51'21"N
Longitude: -4.8034 / 4°48'12"W
OS Eastings: 207034
OS Northings: 221206
OS Grid: SN070212
Mapcode National: GBR CS.TC5T
Mapcode Global: VH2NR.PMG1
Entry Name: Church of Saint Mary
Listing Date: 21 June 1971
Last Amended: 15 October 2004
Source ID: 6046
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: In a prominent position in the centre of the village.
Town: Clarbeston Road
Community: New Moat (Y Mot)
Community: New Moat
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
Anglican parish church, two parallel naves without external articulation of chancel. The N nave may be C13 but is probably C14 altered in C15 when S nave or aisle was added. The nave W door matches the aisle S door which may have been moved. The tracery of the E windows and aisle S window copies late C15 or C16 originals. There is clear joint between the two parts. Said to have been repaired in 1767. Restored 1886-7 by E. H. Lingen Barker who rebuilt the S aisle from the foundations and part of E end walls. All the side windows and the porch are his and also the roofs. The builder was Edwin Giles of Whitland, the cost £594. Three C15 windows were said to have been copied, presumably those at the W and E. The aisle S door was raised. The architect thought the nave C12 or C13 and the doorway late Norman, the S aisle added in C14 or C15, presumably then the S door was reused as it matches the W door, but it seems more likely that the doors though old in form are not late Norman . The five-sided medieval font is very unusual, perhaps C13.
Parish church, rubble stone with slate roofs, outer pitches with Pembrokeshire grey-green slates (roof restored c. 1994). Small scale, double-nave church with bellcote on N nave and no chancel. Nave has blocked W end round-arched doorway with long jamb stones and arch in two stones, chamfered with diagonal stop. Large bellcote projects on 3 large corbels, each corbel stepped-out in 3 steps, set well below apex. Bellcote is offset very slightly to left. Plain rectangular bell-opening with slab lintel and gable with C19 cross finial. Straight joint to S aisle (S nave) which has renewed sandstone 2-light W window with flat head, hoodmould and pointed lights. S side has C19 Bath stone window each side of S door which is similar to blocked W door, round-arched, chamfered and of large sandstone pieces. C19 boarded door. C19 timber gabled porch on stone base walls. Windows are 3-light with pointed heads to lights. E end has renewed sandstone 2-light E window with flat head and hoodmould. E end of N nave projects slightly further and has Bath stone 3-light with hoodmould. N side has C19 Bath stone 2-light and 4-light, similar to those on S, and broad low buttress between.
Plastered walls, 1886 scissor rafter roofs except for pointed boarded roof with moulded ribs over nave E end to distinguish chancel area. Nave W end has corbelling under bellcote. Windows have C19 reveals. One step to chancel, one to sanctuary. Chancel N has broad cambered arch with stone voussoirs over shallow recess. C15 arcade between nave and S aisle of 3 bays, rubble stone piers and pointed arches, all chamfered with no imposts. Two cemented-over corbels over centre arch. S aisle has vestry area at E end, slate flagged.
Fittings: Medieval possibly C14 irregular pentagonal small bowl, chamfered beneath, on C19 round column and round base, the base reused. 1886 pine pews and stalls. 1886 octagonal pine pulpit with pierced sexfoils and diagonal boarding, on tiny ashlar round pedestal. Iron rails 1886 by Gardiner of Bristol. Floor tiles by Maw & Co.
Stained glass: E window three-light Ascension by Alexander Gibbs, to G. Harries of Longridge. N 2-light to H. R. Warlow (d 1996) made by Rev. Arthur Clark, former vicar of Bletherston to design by Nan Warlow, daughter.
Memorials. Fine memorial slab with winged angel head to Laurence Colby (d 1738). Painted slate memorial with arms inscribed 'coat of arms' above, to John Colby (d 1751). Fine slate memorial in early C18 style with arms and winged cherub to J. V. Colby of Ffynone (d 1919).
Graded II* for its special interest as a substantially medieval church with C15 arcade
Other nearby listed buildings