History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Leonard

A Grade II* Listed Building in Jeffreyston, Pembrokeshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7422 / 51°44'31"N

Longitude: -4.7764 / 4°46'35"W

OS Eastings: 208411

OS Northings: 208477

OS Grid: SN084084

Mapcode National: GBR GC.NG28

Mapcode Global: VH2PC.5G7T

Entry Name: Church of St Leonard

Listing Date: 21 June 1971

Last Amended: 8 April 1997

Grade: II*

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 6076

Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary

County: Pembrokeshire

Community: Jeffreyston

Community: Jeffreyston

Locality: Loveston

Traditional County: Pembrokeshire

Find accommodation in
Reynalton

History

The church retains a probably Norman font but lacks other unequivocal dating evidence before the Perpendicular period. The nave of the church may be taken to predate the tower, the latter being a fine example of the local military type assignable to the C14 or early C15. The width and height of the chancel arch suggest perhaps no earlier than the C14. The outer arch of the porch is of coarse appearance, but probably the product of late rustic craftsmanship rather than early work.

The recorded list of rectors starts with William Eynon in 1534. The church has always been in private patronage.

In the Victorian period Loveston was exceptional in being maintained without undergoing systematic restoration, unlike most other churches, so it largely preserves the appearance of an C18 parish church.

Exterior

The church retains a probably Norman font but lacks other unequivocal dating evidence before the Perpendicular period. The nave of the church may be taken to predate the tower, the latter being a fine example of the local military type assignable to the C14 or early C15. The width and height of the chancel arch suggest perhaps no earlier than the C14. The outer arch of the porch is of coarse appearance, but probably the product of late rustic craftsmanship rather than early work.

The recorded list of rectors starts with William Eynon in 1534. The church has always been in private patronage.

In the Victorian period Loveston was exceptional in being maintained without undergoing systematic restoration, unlike most other churches, so it largely preserves the appearance of an C18 parish church.

Interior

The plainness and lack of colour make St Leonard's church a satisfying and interesting contrast to many heavily restored neighbour churches. Probably C18/C19 carpentry to the roof of nave and chancel, the nave roof having a plastered ceiling following the rafters and collars. The tower base is steeply vaulted and the transepts have lower vaults of nearly semicircular shape. The floor is of stone flags, with one step at the chancel arch and one at the sanctuary. The floor within the sanctuary has been replaced with terrazzo.

In the chancel are plain oak communion rails. There is a blocked square-headed window in the S wall above an arched piscina. In the forward-projecting section of wall is a blocked opening, and at both sides are corbels from a previous roof structure.

The chancel arch is high, wide and pointed, with a broad chamfer stopped near the foot, a projecting stone moulding at each impost and jambs formed of long upright stones alternating with outbands. At both sides of the arch are squints of window type, perhaps C16, serving the transepts. The squint at the right has a stone mullion. The N transept has been screened off for a vestry. There are two blocks of C20 pews in the nave and a plain pulpit. Stoup recess beside the S door. The base of the tower acts as an extension to the nave. The porch has a C19 timber roof and a floor of stone flags. There is a stoup recess in the right wall near the inner door and stone benches.

There is no stained glass, but the E window and the windows of the two transepts are all glazed with large quarries in which a cross is picked out in red and yellow glass.

The font is square with a chevron-enriched moulding beneath. It stands on a circular pillar on a square base and step.

To the right of the altar is a Jacobean monument with all its heraldry and inscriptions obliterated. The frame consists of two engaged Corinthian columns with marked entasis, standing on a moulded shelf above consoles with strapwork decoration on face. There is a moulded entablature. The frieze is decorated with rectangles and roses and there is a dentilled cornice. Above the cornice is a central achievement with shield, flanked by short obelisks or pyramids. Within the frame is a rectangular tablet above two shields, each on a cartouche backing. To the S of the chancel is a figured marble monument to Henry Leach, a Pembroke merchant, d.1787.

Reasons for Listing

RCHAM Inventory (1925) pp.201-2;
S Glynne in Arch. Cambr. V xiv (1897) p.46 (visited 1867);
Hist. Soc. West Wales Trans. II (1912) p.277.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Reynalton Church
    At the NW of Reynalton village, in a small churchyard N of the village street.
  • II Ford Bridge
    At the N end of Ford Lane, 1 km N of Jeffreyston Village and 1 km SW of Reynalton Village. The bridge lies on the boundary of Kilgetty Begelly and Jeffreyston Communities.
  • II Ford Bridge
    At the N end of Ford Lane, 1 km N of Jeffreyston Village and 1 km SW of Reynalton Village. The bridge lies on the boundary of Kilgetty/Begelly and Jeffreyston Communities.
  • II Milepost on A4075
    On the east side of the A4075, immediatley S of the cross roads at Yebeston Gate.
  • II Langdon Bridge
    2 km W of Begelly village and 1 km S of Reynalton village, on the unclassified road from Hackett to Langdon.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.