This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.6718 / 51°40'18"N
Longitude: -4.7001 / 4°42'0"W
OS Eastings: 213389
OS Northings: 200457
OS Grid: SN133004
Mapcode National: GBR GF.7Q79
Mapcode Global: VH2PS.H72Q
Entry Name: Medieval structure in the churchyard
Listing Date: 19 March 1951
Last Amended: 28 March 2002
Source ID: 6175
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Situated some 20m W of the Church of Saint Mary in Liberty.
Community: Tenby (Dinbych-y-pysgod)
Built-Up Area: Tenby
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
Ruins of a late medieval structure called the College, and described in the early C19 as the ruins of St Mary's College. The purpose is not in fact known but it may have been a choir school or used by chantry priests. The oddly flattened mouldings of the door are the same as those on the church W door which was dated 1496 and the S transept, also late C15. A drawing by Norris shows much more extensive remains in the early C19.
East wall of demolished medieval building, some 10m long, 2.5 to 3m high. Rubble stone, with wide pointed arched doorway to left with hoodmould, like the W door of the church, but on a less bold scale. Bath stone. Series of some six or seven thin mouldings, hollow, hollow with rosettes, bead and ogee. Inscription in outer arch under hood. Wall is set back to right of door, then single flat-headed window with cusped pointed light. Smaller door to right with hoodmoulds and similar late C15 mouldings, more eroded and on a lesser splay. To right, a C15 fragment, cusped ogee head with 2 quatrefoils in spandrels. Reset stone below with eroded cross between rosettes. Traces of limewash on rear.
Included as an important late medieval fragment, showing the unusual late Gothic seen in the Tenby church S porch and W door.
Other nearby listed buildings