This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.671 / 51°40'15"N
Longitude: -4.6968 / 4°41'48"W
OS Eastings: 213617
OS Northings: 200354
OS Grid: SN136003
Mapcode National: GBR GF.7R36
Mapcode Global: VH2PS.J8VC
Entry Name: No 1 Rock Houses, including area railings
Listing Date: 19 March 1951
Last Amended: 28 March 2002
Source ID: 6262
Building Class: Domestic
Location: First of a terrace of four set behind railings on the street line on the SE side of the bend in St Julian's Street opposite Lansdowne Cottages.
Community: Tenby (Dinbych-y-pysgod)
Built-Up Area: Tenby
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
Terraced house part of an earlier C19 pair with No 2 Rock Houses, similar in detail to Lexden Terrace of 1843. No 1 Rock House occupied 1926 by Doctors Charles and Henry Mathias, surgeons.
End-terrace house, a pair with No 2 to a unified design. Painted stuccoed front of 3 storeys and basement, 2 bays divided by 3 Ionic pilasters rising from band over ground floor and carrying heavily moulded entablature with pulvinated frieze, cornice and parapet. One-window range and inner doorway to each house, 12-pane hornless sashes, ground floor windows not aligned to the windows of the upper floors. Broad flight of 3 stone steps up to paired central Ionic doorcases with recessed 6-panel doors with overlights. Cast-iron boot scrapers set into stone.
Slate steps to basements: No 1 has C20 horned 9-paned sash and C20 door beneath bridge to front door.
Right end wall of No 1 is slate-hung and has 4-paned horned sashes aligned on 1st and 2nd floor left, also a very tall stair window of 32 panes, 2 panes wide. This is partly obscured by a 1st floor link to No 4 Rock Terrace, also slate-hung.
Area railings similar to those before Lexden Terrace to either side of steps with gates to outer ends to basement steps.
Rear seaward side is slate-hung with parapet, 2 2-storey canted bay windows with 2-4-2-pane sashes, and 2 2nd floor pairs of 4-pane sashes. 2 dormers behind parapet.
Included as one of an architecturally sophisticated pair of houses in late Georgian style.
Other nearby listed buildings