History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Penfro

A Grade II* Listed Building in Pembroke, Pembrokeshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6744 / 51°40'28"N

Longitude: -4.9111 / 4°54'39"W

OS Eastings: 198817

OS Northings: 201310

OS Grid: SM988013

Mapcode National: GBR G8.WGKB

Mapcode Global: VH1S6.T5KQ

Entry Name: Penfro

Listing Date: 14 July 1981

Last Amended: 29 July 2005

Grade: II*

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 6395

Building Class: Domestic

Location: On the S side of Main Street near its E junction with East Back and opposite the entrance to the Church of Saint Michael.

County: Pembrokeshire

Town: Pembroke

Community: Pembroke (Penfro)

Community: Pembroke

Built-Up Area: Pembroke

Traditional County: Pembrokeshire

Find accommodation in
Pembroke

History

Substantial town house of earlier C18 origins, apparently owned by Dr John Powell, died 1735. It was refronted in earlier C19, and is now similar to No 113 adjoining, with which it appears to have been joined. Carefully restored 1987 for Mr & Mrs J. Myers.
The deeds show that it was owned in late C18 by Dudley Ackland of Boulston, died 1809 and that it was previously part of the estate of Dr Powell, surgeon who died in 1734 and is commemorated in St Michael's Church. Leased 1798 to Samuel Jones of Pembroke died 1806, leased by Jones' nephews 1808 to James Spencer of Hay-on-Wye, described as two houses (including No 113). Sold 1834 to Richard Higgins of Whitney Wood, Herefs. James Hunt of Southampton, brewer, James Spencer, and Philip Jones of Boughrood skinner and his son Samuel of Abergavenny, cabinet-maker, named on deed. In 1835 house is mortgaged by R. Higgins and Samuel Jones of Pembroke, cabinet-maker, to T. W. Higgins of Hay-on-Wye and in 1845 the mortgage transferred to Elizabeth Phillips of Eardisley, Herefs., spinster. A conveyance of 1848 of two houses from Samuel Jones of Merthyr Tydfil, cabinet maker, Elizabeth Phillips and T. W. Higgins, names also Walter Prosser of Bristol, and is to Richard Ormond of Pembroke, and William Ormond of Cardeeth. In 1858 a single house is leased by Thomas Allen, barrister, John Rogers Powell of Haverfordwest, and Mary Hill (formerly Mary Ormond) to J. R. Bryant of Pembroke surgeon, and in 1869 Bryant bought the house from J. R. Powell and John Jordan of Lamphey. J. R. Bryant's will is dated 1884. Eliza Bryant died in 1914, succeeded by J. D. Hustler Bryant of Hampton Wick who leased the house in 1927 to the Rev. Paul Ellis of Alperton House, Pembroke. J. D. H. Bryant died in 1940 and in 1945 the house was sold to F. E. Greathead, solicitor, of Pembroke.
The interiors display fine panelled rooms of earlier to mid C18 date, the best in the county, with a fine staircase and stair hall plasterwork. The E ground floor and first floor rooms have detail of c. 1840.

Exterior

Town house, painted roughcast with slate roof and brick end stacks. Three storeys and cellar with brick dentilled eaves. Three-window range of broad sash windows with slate sills: square 12-pane to top floor, 20-pane to lower floors. In centre, four steps with brick and stone risers and stone treads lead to porch with two columns and entablature. Tall doorway with moulded architrave and six-panel fielded-panelled door with lion knocker and overlight.
Rear has very large stair gable projecting to left, rendered but formerly with some slate-hanging. Long stair window.

Interior

Hall has earlier to mid C18 character with moulded cornice, panelled wall in long panels (not fielded) over dado rail. S wall has fireplace to left in raised chimney breast, moulded surround and shelf. To right is large round arch to short passage to stair hall with broad fanlight with thick radiating bars to fanlight and two small carved shells. Half-glazed double doors with two fielded panels below four glazed panels each. Doors in E and W sides with sunk panels, in moulded architraves. Panelled small lobby to W room from passage to stair hall.
W room has earlier to mid C18 character: thick moulded painted timber cornice, unpainted timber panelling with large raised fielded panels above dado rail and panels below. W wall raised chimney breast with fine panelled detail: fluted full height pilaster each side with entablature blocks and cornice broken forward over, and moulding between is swept up in centre under similar cornice break. Mid C19 marbled slate fireplace with cast-iron arched grate, two rectangular raised panels above mantelpiece, the upper one painted with mid to later C18 seascape of classical ruin overlooking bay with two ships flying red ensign and small yacht with Dutch flag. Doors on E wall, left one sunk-panelled, right one fielded panelled. Fielded-panelled door in S wall to brick-lined cupboard recess. One panel on W wall opens with shelves within. E room has a character of c. 1840 with sunk-panelled 6-panel door, egg-and-dart cornice moulding with scrolled ceiling border, and centre neo-Egyptian rose. Deep skirting boards. Grey marble fireplace with fluted Greek Doric half-columns and rosettes in frieze blocks above. C19 iron grate. Sunk panels to shutters. Two 18-pane sashes to rear. Passage through to stair hall has broad sunk-panelled piers to inner sides of S arch, panelled soffit and moulded arch. Three-panel fielded panelled door on E side to modern WC. Similar arch and panelled pilasters on stair hall face, with panelled spandrel piers above each side and centre keystone, moulded cornice broken forward over all three.
Stair hall has imposing C18 staircase with broad open string stair with three balusters to each tread, the balusters twisted above and with turned ovals below (varied from one to three ovals to allow for descending height), corniced panelled newels and thick ramped rail. Two flights up to first floor landing with similar balusters under rail ramped down at each end. Fine moulded plaster ceiling to stair well with moulded cornice, deep cove, heavy moulded ceiling border framing oval panel and two rectangular outer panels. Embossed flowers in angles of the cove. Leaf mouldings in angles of ceiling border. Oval has thickly detailed leaf and rose border and small centre spiraled rose. Shallow relief plant ornament in outer spandrels. Rectangular panels have bloection-moulded frames and fleshy scroll ornament with roses. Doorway on W side of stair hall to parallel C18 servants' stair with connecting doors at landing. Closed string stair with turned balusters, square newels and moulded rail, in dog-leg flights to attic and down to basement. Fielded three-panel door into rear of W room cupboard.
First floor has plain square-headed opening into front landing and doorway to left into servants' stair. Three- panel door to small centre room with boarded dado. Small C19 fireplace with iron grate of neo-Japanese type designed by T. Jeckyll in 1873. Three-panel door to W room which has complete C18 painted panelling, matching that in room below, and similar cornice. Very large wall panels above dado, largest on N window wall. Sunk panels to shutters. Chimney breast has C19 marbled slate chimneypiece with arched cast-iron grate. Two raised rectangular overmantel panels. Two three-panel doors on S wall, one to a small closet, now bathroom with unusual C19 cast-iron WC and basin supports with Adam and Eve figures on the one, dragons on the other. Cistern marked HO Simlett Pembroke. E room has fielded-panelled 6-panel door, earlier C19 moulded cornice, veined C19 grey and white marble chimneypiece, panelled shutters and panelled piers flanking window. Another basin like that in the closet of W room.
Servants' stair only rises to attic. Room over main stair has 4-panel door and fielded 6-panel door to rear W room. Front range has 2-panel doors, W room has C19 fireplace with roundels at top corners and iron grate. Small centre room has another Jeckyll grate in C19 chimneypiece with moulded piers and lintel and acorn roundels. Thick wall at E end of landing with cupboard.
Basement has double fielded-panelled 2-panel doors with shaped upper panels at foot of stair and 3-panel door to under stair. Basement flagged floors and 3-panel doors. W room has a timber-framed partition and two beams, centre has 2 beams and two more in E kitchen. Elliptical arched fireplace of gauged brick with stone imposts and keystone. Rear wing room has late C19 or later boarded walls.

Reasons for Listing

Graded II* for very fine interiors of earlier C18 with good additions of the earlier C19.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.