This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.8133 / 51°48'47"N
Longitude: -4.6749 / 4°40'29"W
OS Eastings: 215709
OS Northings: 216121
OS Grid: SN157161
Mapcode National: GBR CZ.WT8R
Mapcode Global: VH2P0.XPF9
Entry Name: Panteg farmhouse
Listing Date: 4 February 1986
Last Amended: 15 October 1997
Source ID: 6547
Building Class: Domestic
Location: On an elevated site to SE of village, overlooking Lampeter Vale. Reached by a long curving track along wooded hillside.
Community: Llanddewi Velfrey (Llanddewi Efelffre)
Community: Llanddewi Velfrey
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
Probably built for John Hensleigh, whose initials I H with the date 1744 occur in the adjoining barn on a collar beam. In 1840 the house and farm are recorded as Panteague, owned by John Hensleigh Allen and tenanted by Thomas Evans.
Double-pile early Georgian small manor house with SE entrance front on terrace overlooking farmyard. Two storeys plus attic and basement, five windows, scribed cement render on stone rubble with brick backing, steep parallel slate roofs, restored, with gable copings and massive end-stacks. Restored sash windows to shallow reveals, one-storey hipped lean-to in left angle with two-storey three-window modernised vernacular range (possible C17) behind; massive end-stack with high weather-courses. Small lean-to added to right gable end.
Two-storey, three-window rendered rear elevation set into hillside, mostly small-pane sash windows, tall C18 stair window with oculus over. Gabled porch below terrace with original cross-boarded door under arched entry.
The house has been described as possessing exceptional early Georgian interiors, include drawing and dining rooms at front, rear estate office and dogleg main staircase with ramped handrail and balustrade and with adjoining back-stair to attic; upstairs cross-passage and bedrooms. Principal rooms have full-height wainscot with raised fields, boxed cornices, dado rails, panelled splays, architraves and chimney breasts with fluted pilasters (Ionic to dining room, Corinthian to drawing room). Lugged chimneypiece to dining room, fluted balusters, carved tread-ends and swept dados to staircases, massive kitchen dresser with panelled doors and arcaded supports. Vaulted cellars to basement; massive early chimney breast with timber lintel to W range.
Listed Grade II* as a good early Georgian house including wainscot and other fine interior details.
Other nearby listed buildings