History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Tynllyne Farmhouse

A Grade II* Listed Building in Llanigon, Powys

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0478 / 52°2'52"N

Longitude: -3.167 / 3°10'1"W

OS Eastings: 320064

OS Northings: 239471

OS Grid: SO200394

Mapcode National: GBR YZ.F31X

Mapcode Global: VH6BJ.2S2H

Plus Code: 9C4R2RXM+45

Entry Name: Tynllyne Farmhouse

Listing Date: 28 September 1961

Last Amended: 20 June 1995

Grade: II*

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 6628

Building Class: Domestic

Location: The house is situated next to its own farm buildings in an elevated position 1750 metres WSW of Llanigon Church.

County: Powys

Community: Llanigon

Community: Llanigon

Locality: Heol-y-Gaer

Traditional County: Brecknockshire

Tagged with: Farmhouse

Find accommodation in
Llanigon

History

The house has an H-shaped plan. The central hall and the W cross-wing date from about 1600, but the 8 ft wide cross-passage behind the hall chimney suggests a long-house origin; the house, of two main dates, probably results from the alternate rebuilding of something older. The E wing was added/rebuilt in the early C17 and widened in the later C17; 2 timbers in its roof have been interpreted as truncated cruck-blades. More work may have been done in the early C18 than is now implied by the new staircase, the ceiling and chimneypiece inserted in the hall chamber, and one 2-panel door on the 1st floor. The house was generally modernised with new windows and doors in the early C19. The original roof over the hall displays the charring of an early C20 fire.

Exterior

2 storeys with small cellar, attics and roofspaces, stone, with slate roofs, the stone much rebuilt or limewashed, central chimney of old stone. Windows mostly C19/20 but E wing has original window on N to roofspace, 2 chamfered oak lights, and labels of original windows of graduated size on all 3 elevations. E door C16/17, planked in heavily chamfered frame with inner chamfered & tudor-arched head, stone label.

Interior

Interior: Several old/original plank doors, some with arched heads. Hall & dairy, chamfered and stopped ceiling beams & joists; partition between them plank & muntin, chamfered, under roll-moulded beam. Stairs by chimney, stone with wooden treads, arched door. Room over cellar has plank & muntin partition possibly later, very wide timbers; ceiling with stop-chamfered joists. The E wing has lesser quality features and C19 panelled doors. Staircase to attics, early-mid C18 oak, turned balusters. On the 1st floor, there is an arched doorway in the E wing and stop-chamfered ceiling beams. The hall chamber has a chamfered plank & muntin partition extending above the ceiling (fragmentarily) to the roof's collar; bolection-moulded chimneypiece. The W wing is divided into larger & smaller rooms by another plank & muntin partition, also extending above an inserted ceiling. Roofs original.

Reasons for Listing

Although altered in its external details, the house is of the highest vernacular quality and interesting for its plan, development, and well-preserved interior with many early or original features.

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Penygenhill
    The house stands in open countryside WSW of Llanigon.
  • II Llwynllwyd Barn
    Llanigon
  • II Llwynfilly
    The former farmhouse stands in open countryside to SW of Llanigon, at the end of a narrow track leading to the house and farm buildings.
  • II Maes-y-garn Farmhouse
    The farmhouse overlooks a lane leading E from Fordd-las, 1300 metres SSW of Llanigon Church, and backs onto its own farm buildings.
  • II Agricultural Range to rear of Maes-y-garn Farmhouse
    To rear (east) of Maes-y-garn Farmhouse.
  • II Llwynbarried Farmhouse
    The house stands adjacent to modern farm buildings in open countryside 900 metres SW of Ffordd-las road junction.
  • II Llwynmaddy Farmhouse
    Situated to the south of Llanigon, the house stands opposite a small group of traditional stone farm buildings, set back from the lane and sideways onto it.
  • II Bridge Over Digedi Brook
    The bridge crosses the Digedi Brook where the lane enters Llanigon village from NW.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.