History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Llwynfilly

A Grade II Listed Building in Llanigon, Powys

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0422 / 52°2'31"N

Longitude: -3.1712 / 3°10'16"W

OS Eastings: 319767

OS Northings: 238842

OS Grid: SO197388

Mapcode National: GBR YZ.FG0N

Mapcode Global: VH6BH.ZXCV

Entry Name: Llwynfilly

Listing Date: 20 June 1995

Last Amended: 20 June 1995

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 16108

Building Class: Domestic

Location: The former farmhouse stands in open countryside to SW of Llanigon, at the end of a narrow track leading to the house and farm buildings.

County: Powys

Community: Llanigon

Community: Llanigon

Locality: Ffordd-Las

Traditional County: Brecknockshire

Find accommodation in
Llanigon

History

The house dates from the second half of the 18th century and probably occupies the site of an earlier one; the cellar ceiling incorporates 16th-century joists. The house is L-shaped, with a taller build and a lower one, also of 2 storeys, at the rear; the latter was rebuilt in the 19th century. The front part of the house was partly refitted in the late 19th century. Despite recent adaptation as an activity centre for children, the major features of the house and its plan survive.

Exterior

2 storeys with cellar and attics. Pebbledashed stone, hipped slate roof. W elevation approx symmetrical with rubble end-chimneys & later brick caps, sash windows with late C19 joinery; door & case renewed C20, hood C20 with posts & scrolled bargeboards. Pair roof-lights. S elevation 2-light C19 casement & sashed windows. Rear build lower-pitched roof with end-chimney; farm building attached to E.

Interior

Possibly original oak doorcases on both main floors but doors C19 4-panelled. The S front room built as kitchen with deep-timber lintelled hearth; C18 rear door, oak planks, ogee-moulded battens; plain ceiling beams. N room stone floor continuous with entrance, late C19 painted black marble chimneypiece, mid-late C19 door & frame. Staircase continuous to attics (simpler handrail above), turned columnar oak balusters, beaded square newels. Cellar incorporates several stop-chamfered C16 ceiling joists. Attics refitted but roof has 3 collared trusses & 2 cruck-like end trusses. The rear build much adapted & altered.

Reasons for Listing

A good small late C18 farmhouse with genteel aspects retaining original features.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Llwynbarried Farmhouse
    The house stands adjacent to modern farm buildings in open countryside 900 metres SW of Ffordd-las road junction.
  • II* Tynllyne Farmhouse
    The house is situated next to its own farm buildings in an elevated position 1750 metres WSW of Llanigon Church.
  • II Penygenhill
    The house stands in open countryside WSW of Llanigon.
  • II Maes-y-garn Farmhouse
    The farmhouse overlooks a lane leading E from Fordd-las, 1300 metres SSW of Llanigon Church, and backs onto its own farm buildings.
  • II Agricultural Range to rear of Maes-y-garn Farmhouse
    To rear (east) of Maes-y-garn Farmhouse.
  • II Llwynllwyd Barn
    Llanigon
  • II Stables at Llwynau-bach Lodge Hotel
    Llwynau-bach lies NE of Treble Hill, approximately 800m from Glasbury Bridge, and on the S side of the road, accessed from a lay-by created on the earlier road line.
  • II Tregoyd Mill House
    Located at the N end of the hamlet of Tregoyd, at the NE side of the small brook from Tregoyd Common to the Wye at Aberllynfi.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.