History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Maritius

A Grade II Listed Building in Erwood, Powys

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1124 / 52°6'44"N

Longitude: -3.3545 / 3°21'16"W

OS Eastings: 307338

OS Northings: 246879

OS Grid: SO073468

Mapcode National: GBR YQ.94JT

Mapcode Global: VH6B6.S5YF

Entry Name: Church of St Maritius

Listing Date: 23 March 1962

Last Amended: 3 August 2001

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 6704

Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary

Location: Situated in small churchyard, reached by short lane up to NW from A470 some 120m N of Abernant.

County: Powys

Town: Builth Wells

Community: Erwood (Errwd)

Community: Erwood

Locality: Alltmawr

Traditional County: Brecknockshire

Find accommodation in
Maesmynis

History

Small parish church of uncertain date, medieval origins but probably rebuilt in C18 and with C19 chancel and earlier C20 repairs. Nave of some 35 ft (10.68m) is one of the smallest in Wales.

Exterior

Church, rubble stone with stone-tiled roofs. Small nave with gabled W bellcote, S porch and apsidal small chancel. NE vestry. Detail is all C19 or earlier C20, timber windows to nave. 3 with flat heads, leaded lights and shouldered arched heads to each light: two-light W window, single light and 2-light to nave N. Added lean-to plain N vestry with slate roof and E lancet window. Nave S has gabled stone porch with plastered roof inside, stone bench seats and earlier C20 door in segmental pointed surround. One pointed nave S window with 2-light timber Y-tracery.

Interior

Chancel has canted sides and taller E wall, each with pointed small lancet in rock-faced stone surround, the E lancet set higher. Rock-faced quoins.
Plastered whitewashed walls, plastered 3-sided ceiling with 3 tie-beam trusses, ceiled at collar level, two with angle struts. Slate floor. Plain bench pews with square-headed panelled bench-ends, 2 box-pews at W end and one larger private pew at NW corner with high sides and seats within on 3 sides. Six pews on N side, second with fielded panel end, sixth with fielded panels to back, facing square enclosure in front of pulpit. Pulpit has plain 3-sided panel front with book-rest. N side has pews and then 2-sided reading desk with book-rest. Chancel has seats built into two window recesses with Jacobean-style panelled backs and scrolled arm rests. Similar detail to low oak reredos, all more probably earlier C20 than C17. Plain oak rails. Heavily retooled round font on octagonal shaft, possibly C13, said to come from Aberedw. W end plaque to T. Weal of Cwrt Gwenddwr (d 1822), signed Davies of Builth, in 2 colours with urn. Unusual electroplate or gilded metal plaque to Sir Alfred T. Lawrence, 1st Baron Trevethin, of Abernant, 1843-1936, Lord Chief Justice 1921-2, with portrait of himself and his wife taken from a wedding portrait of 1875, signed Ernest Gillick.

Reasons for Listing

Included as a miniature parish church of unusual character, with some Georgian style box-pews

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.