This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.9259 / 51°55'33"N
Longitude: -3.2749 / 3°16'29"W
OS Eastings: 312430
OS Northings: 226031
OS Grid: SO124260
Mapcode National: GBR YV.NSBQ
Mapcode Global: VH6C1.6V2H
Entry Name: Ty Mawr farmhouse including attached range to W
Listing Date: 17 January 1963
Last Amended: 21 August 1998
Source ID: 6758
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Near the S edge of Llangorse Lake, W of Llangasty Tal-y-llyn, reached by a farm track.
Community: Llangors (Llan-gors)
Locality: Llangasty Tal-y-llyn
Traditional County: Brecknockshire
Map of Llangorse Lake 1584 has drawing of a large C16 house of 3 storeys, 5 gables and portico. This is the dominant building in the whole area, substantially larger than the 4 medieval churches shown and probably therefore created for owner to confirm status of building. A successor to this building was erected mainly adjacent to the C16 house which was demolished - some of the foundations have been excavated by present owner; it may however incorporate some of the C16 work, where ground levels vary at E end. It is described by Jones as the Manor House (then known as Tallyn House) and for some centuries the residence of the lords of Llangasty Tal-y-llyn. In 1794 Philip Champion de Crespigny bought the property and began a remodelling/ rebuilding programme, introducing on the lakeside frontage 2 large round headed windows and a series of shallow round-headed recesses but this was never completed (see also history of granaries). The house remained part of what became the Treholford estate - Crespigny built a house at Cathedine late C18 and Ty Mawr was subequently bought by Gwynne Holford of Treholford - until the estate was sold 1919. Building was further altered early - mid 19 and later C19 with alterations to rear windows C20.
Large farmhouse and attached farm range. House of stone pebbledashed and painted, Welsh slate roof, brick end stacks. Plan of main 3 storey 4 bay house to right with 2 storey wing left partly incorporated into house but with unconverted bay adjacent to barn which joins at right angles; single storey outshut end right. Main house has 4 window range of 2/2 horned sashes under segmental heads to first floor, 3 half-dormers above with 3/3 horned sashes; ground floor remodelled with blocked round headed arch left and front extension masking 8/8 pane sashes; main entrance now in lower W wing with boarded door and 4 pane overlight set in similar blocked arch; end left has steps to granary door at first floor level and further entrance door end left; many signs of alterations to fabric. Rear elevation has an assymetrical range of windows: at first floor of main range there are segmental arched windows with voussoirs and replaced glazing; at ground floor level are 3 round headed arches, 2 blind and the centre with a double multipane sash. In the lower range a tall external stack separates 2 large multipane round arched sash windows with radial glazing bars; at end right are the ventilation slits of the barn. Again many signs of alterations to fabric.
Interior shows signs of several phases of remodelling. Left, formerly possibly part of farm range, was converted to kitchen and service wing and remodelled further, with insertion of 2 storey windows, then later floor; rooms of single depths with 6 panelled doors, moulded surrounds and panelled reveals; one chamfered cross beam to main room with curved wooden stairs behind fireplace - an old arrangement but a later version. In main house wing to right a passage extends right behind front elevation with rooms opening to lakeside, including one with early C19 basket arch ceiling division; at end right is a change in levels, with former ground floor features now well below ground level and first floor features below current ceiling level. Vaulted cellars.
Listed as a manorial farmhouse with strong historical associations and various stages of remodelling incorporating interesting features.
Group value with the Barn, Granaries and Cartshed and Stable at Ty Mawr.
Other nearby listed buildings