This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.9404 / 51°56'25"N
Longitude: -3.2597 / 3°15'35"W
OS Eastings: 313499
OS Northings: 227626
OS Grid: SO134276
Mapcode National: GBR YV.MXS3
Mapcode Global: VH6C1.GH2B
Entry Name: Church of St Paulinus
Listing Date: 17 January 1963
Last Amended: 21 August 1998
Source ID: 6761
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Situated in the centre of Llangors Village on low lying ground bordered on N by Nant Cwy; in a rectangular churchyard, partly walled, entered through gate at SW.
Community: Llangors (Llan-gors)
Built-Up Area: Llangors
Traditional County: Brecknockshire
Medieval church substantially enlarged and remodelled in C15 by addition of large south aisle and W tower. Restored 1874 by T Nicholson with sanctuary added. Organ of 1764 from St John's Cardiff, an important historic instrument, installed 1894.
Predominantly late medieval Perpendicular aspect. Plan of W tower, nave, unusually long and wide S aisle extending further E than nave, narrower and lower chancel, NE lean-to boiler house. Of red sandstone rubble, with mostly matching ashlar; very narrow stones to parts of nave, larger and more coursed with finer joints to tower, especially lower storey; Welsh slate roof with yellow ridge tiles and apex crosses. W tower of 3 storeys, 4 moulded string courses and stepped and battered plinth; ringing chamber has on each side louvred opening of 2 trefoil headed lights in an arched moulded surround; above is an embattled parapet with water chutes projecting from the string course; very narrow rectangular lights to staircase and tower chambers. S aisle has battered lower courses and overhanging eaves; SW moulded Tudor-arched doorway, 2 recessed square headed windows of 2 lights with hollow-chamfered mullions and cusped heads; moulded Tudor-arched priest's doorway with spandrels and at SE, E, also W, larger 3 light windows with moulded surrounds and Perpendicular tracery; a mass dial is under the middle aisle window. Chancel has similar E window, a C19 version, with face stops and similar smaller cusped lancets N and S. N nave windows are a pair of double lights with unusually tall cusped heads to E, similar less pronounced to W with chamfered mullions and surrounds.
Large S aisle, arcade of three 2- order arches with octagonal piers; medieval wagon roof with reeded ribs; at E end the important C18 organ with carved putti. Nave has C19 pointed chancel arch with massive face stops to responds; C19 roof; high and wide chamfered pointed arched W tower arch and high Tudor-arched doorway to tower; mostly flagged floor; font is octagonal with carved underside on a circular plinth; pew to rear dated 1677; decoratively carved probably C17 chest; fragments of early Christian stones and a tombstone with Latin inscription. Chancel and sanctuary with Victorian detail; floored with encaustic tiles of varied patterns and colours, rising 6 steps in all; C19 piscina; medieval wagon roof with heavily reeded ribs retained. Complete ring of 6 bells from the Evans foundry, some later alterations, and frame of 1721.
Listed II* as a medieval church retaining much of its fabric.
Other nearby listed buildings