This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.9403 / 51°56'25"N
Longitude: -3.2596 / 3°15'34"W
OS Eastings: 313510
OS Northings: 227617
OS Grid: SO135276
Mapcode National: GBR YV.MXTD
Mapcode Global: VH6C1.GH4D
Entry Name: Lewis monument in churchyard to SE of the church of St Paulinus
Listing Date: 21 August 1998
Last Amended: 21 August 1998
Source ID: 20338
Building Class: Commemorative
Location: In the S part of the churchyard, S of the E end of the church.
Community: Llangors (Llan-gors)
Built-Up Area: Llangors
Traditional County: Brecknockshire
Early C19 monument commemorating a family of Pencelli, inscription partly illegible records Hannah daughter of William... Anne Maria; later inscription to James Lewis of the Ebbw Vale Iron Co d 1856. Monument by Phillips of Talgarth.
An unusual pier-shaped monument of pale ashlar surmounted by a small iron urn finial. Stands on a stone base on a plinth; the pier is slightly tapered from its own plinth moulding ending in an overhanging cornice with small shallow pediments to each face; each side of the pier has a tapered projecting inscription panel, the primary inscription on the E.
Included for group value with the church and other churchyard monuments as an unusual early C19 monument.
Other nearby listed buildings