This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.8675 / 51°52'3"N
Longitude: -3.1442 / 3°8'38"W
OS Eastings: 321316
OS Northings: 219389
OS Grid: SO213193
Mapcode National: GBR F0.SGQQ
Mapcode Global: VH6CH.GB56
Entry Name: Gwernvale Manor Hotel
Listing Date: 19 July 1963
Last Amended: 25 September 1986
Source ID: 7269
Building Class: Commercial
Location: Situated to NW of the town on a prominent elevated site above the A40 Brecon Road and reached by an avenue to SW; set in landscaped grounds with terraces to front.
Community: Crickhowell (Crughywel)
Built-Up Area: Crickhowell
Traditional County: Brecknockshire
Square early C19 Regency house built for Tristram Everest with 1911 wing to left and 1970's addition to right (not of special interest). Modern conversion to hotel use but formerly the home of Sir George Everest who became Surveyor General of India in 1830 and gave his name to the Himalayan mountain.
2-storey stucco fronts with cill bands; hipped slate roof, cement render chimney stacks, wide bracket eaves. 3-window NW entrance front with tall recessed 12-pane sash windows, 1 to left extended to ground level. Central broad classical pedimented porch, formerly open and with higher roof line; entablature frieze above 6 Tuscan columns, paired towards centre. Advanced segmental bow to 5-window SW front, 1st floor sash windows as on main front, those below extend to ground level. Altered E front with modern extension but retaining 1 sash window.
Range adjoining NW angle, dated 1911; 2-storey roughcast front, hipped slate roof with bracket eaves; 2 modern windows to SW side over later lean-to arcade; cross frame windows to end wall with hood moulds to ground floor.
Interior retains classical detailing to ground floor; segmental arches with panelled soffits and pilasters leading to rooms off hall which contains open well staircase with large oval patera to ceiling with acanthus cornice. Fluted Corinthian columns to drawing room with arabesque cornice. Blocked Venetian window to SE end.
Other nearby listed buildings