This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.0517 / 52°3'6"N
Longitude: -3.2847 / 3°17'4"W
OS Eastings: 312004
OS Northings: 240038
OS Grid: SO120400
Mapcode National: GBR YT.DXJ6
Mapcode Global: VH6BG.0PWJ
Plus Code: 9C4R3P28+M4
Entry Name: Llangoed Hall
Listing Date: 28 September 1961
Last Amended: 15 December 1995
Source ID: 7484
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Located on a raised terrace on the floor of the Wye valley, within its own 4 hectares grounds and formerly associated farmland, and having staff housing and stable court to the NNE, separately listed.
Traditional County: Brecknockshire
There is a suggestion of early medieval occupation of this site and it has been claimed that the first Welsh parliament was held here. The site became an episcopal grange in the medieval period, and, after the reformation, was acquired in 1632 by David Williams of Gwernyfed on the attainder of Stafford, Duke of Buckingham. Sir Henry Williams either continued the building, or rebuilt the earliest parts of the surviving structure, which later became the main family seat from c.1730. The family forfeited the property in the early C19 to make good losses at gaming, when it was acquired by a John MacNamara. He sold in 1847 to John Bailey and it was subsumed into the Glanusk Estate by the end of the C19. About 1913 it was acquired by a Mr Archibald Christie, a prominent bowler-hat maker of London, who commissioned the extensive remodelling and enlargement from Clough Williams Ellis, in the Lutyenesque country house tradition, which he achieved without the more mannered style of his later work. After a period of serious neglect and vandalism it was bought by Sir Bernard Ashley who restored the fabric and converted the house into a country hotel, opening in 1990.
The S range is primarily of the C17, although remodelled in the C18 and altered in the early C20. Rubble stonework with a stone slate roof. Two storeys, attics and basement. The original build is the western two-thirds of the S front, comprising 4 window bays, the entrance in the second bay raised over 8 semi-circular steps and within a 2-storey porch. The opening is a chamfered segmental arch, and later openings in both sides. Oak doorcase with double ovolo mouldings running out at high set ogee stops. Inserted arch over door bearing the date 1632. The door is of 4 panels between moulded muntins, studded and hung on decorative hinges. Windows have segmental heads and stone sills, with later C20 timber windows and applied leadwork; surviving drawings show that the original glazing was of cross-frame type. Openings to the E of the porch (bays 3 and 4) have timber lintels. This build is extended by a further bay, probably C18, with similar but wider windows. Four hipped dormers. Above the outer arch of the porch is the sandstone arms of Williams, Enion Sais, a chevron parting three cocks, crest a cock and mantling, and inscribed SIR H.W. KNIGHT GLORIAM.DEO.CANO. Gable stacks c.1913; diagonally set linked brick shafts with a stone plaque at the base.
The main entrance front, facing W, is the early work of Sir Clough Williams-Ellis, who was commissioned in 1913, and continued to produce drawings until 1919. 'E'-plan, approximately symmetrical, with the end wings duplicated. Snecked coursed rubble with yellow Gwespyr stone ashlar dressings. Two storeys with parapet. Stone slated roofs with hipped dormers to attics.
Stone mullioned and transomed windows set flush to wall face, maintaining a degree of symmetry but having some regard to internal function. Central three-storey feature porch of high quality Gwespyr limestone ashlar in a personal French Beaux-Arts style. Wide giant pilasters with a tryglyph frieze inscribed ANN:DOM:MCMXIV, and attic storey with architraved window and lead cresting inscribed GR REG ANN IV. Hipped roof. Entrance between line-rusticated dies for pilasters; a low round architraved arch, with ribbon, symbolic plaques and pendants. Cross window with railed balcony to first floor. Symmetrical stone chimney stacks carrying tall paired brick shafts and yellow clayware pots.
The N wing of the 'E'-plan has an outer parallel wing projecting 1½ bays balancing the C17 wing on the S, with external gabled stack and shafts matching that of the S wing.
The E front, facing towards the river, is also approximately symmetrical. Two-storeys, canted end bays with a wider canted central bay, all rising from a wide raised terrace, with steps to the lawns. Over the central bay a rendered attic storey with a Venetian window and scroll supports. Eight hipped dormers.
The C17 S wing has chamfered cross beams of ceiling which define a probable original cross passage with parlour to right and 2-bay hall with gable stack to left. Chamfers have bold ogee stops. Now a library/billiard room. Fielded panelling of early C18 with dentilled cornice and finger-moulded plaster ceilings between beams; bold pilasters to overmantel with pulvinated detail below cornice. All considerably repaired in 1980s. Interior of main block of early C20. A wide through circulation hall giving access to the drawing rooms in the SE corner and a wide oak stair with turned balusters, the stair well having a coved ceiling and rectangular ribs. Moulded panel enclosing a central oval. At first floor level an Ionic columned gallery around two sides with urn finials. Oil on canvas mural of birds by ..]dells, London, [Haslam has F.Hodge], overpainted after vandalism. Stair in upper storey of porch has Ionic pilasters and a square coved ceiling. Dining Room has Tuscan fluted pilasters and modillion cornice, the fire surround replaced c.1990. Main rear sitting room has moulded arched stone fireplace with side brackets and the Williams coat of arms in a panel above (or, a saltire ermine, parting 4 mullets. Crest a helm, mantling).
Included as Grade II* as the first important commission of Sir Clough Williams-Ellis, working in the tradition of the great English country house, but retaining the shell of the C17 Williams house.
Other nearby listed buildings