This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.5331 / 52°31'59"N
Longitude: -3.1413 / 3°8'28"W
OS Eastings: 322678
OS Northings: 293420
OS Grid: SO226934
Mapcode National: GBR B0.FH9F
Mapcode Global: VH686.HLPG
Entry Name: Cwm-Bromley Farmhouse
Listing Date: 10 March 1953
Last Amended: 12 September 1996
Source ID: 7559
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Located on the hilltop above the main A.483 Kerry to Churchstoke road, on the minor road to Montgomery.
Community: Kerry (Ceri)
Traditional County: Montgomeryshire
A large farmhouse built in 1633 (inscription) by Richard Whittingham, gentleman, sheriff of Montgomery.
Timber framed, originally with wattle and daub infill, now whitewashed brick and render, some framing replaced on ground floor with brick. Slate roof with paired brick axial stacks. Two storeys and attics. Lobby entry plan of 3 bays, with storeyed porch and corresponding rear stair tower, and a 2-bay 2-storey wing, also framed, on the E end, apparently contemporary. Framing is largely close studding, but with some square panelling above the mid-wall bressumer on the S. Each storey of the cross wing is divided by a mid-wall bressumer. C20 rendered and colourwashed rear wing, stepping down in height. Original jettied porch now underbuilt, but above, an inscription under a modern pent roof on original carved scroll brackets, reads: "HIS:HOUSE:WAS:BVILT:A/T:THE:CHARGES:OF:RICHARD:/ WHITTINGHAM:GENTLEMAN:/ ANNO:DOM1633". The present entrance, a boarded stable door, is in an attached single storey lobby, giving access to the wing.
Original central stack removed and replaced by two axial C19 brick stacks. Parallel chamfered spine beams with ogee stops in main range. Porch front bressumer, originally jettied, supported by moulded side jetty plates, of which one survives. Cut brackets to principal S window to first floor. Stair tower houses the original generous oak stair with pierced shaped splat balusters and moulded handrail. Below the stair, a carved arch with dropped centre, and lozenge carved with leaf motifs and a centre lozenge inscribed 8EH5, the last numeral uncertain. The stair, which appears to be rebuilt, extends to the attic floor level where one surviving square acorn finial survives.
Cellar with drained flagged floor, the steps formed with malting kiln tiles.
Included as a large early C17 farmhouse, structurally little altered with many good internal details retained, notwithstanding later alterations.
Other nearby listed buildings