A Grade II Listed Building in Kerry (Ceri), Powys
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Upload Photo »
Latitude: 52.5289 / 52°31'43"N
Longitude: -3.1367 / 3°8'12"W
OS Eastings: 322985
OS Northings: 292942
OS Grid: SO229929
Mapcode National: GBR B0.FY55
Mapcode Global: VH686.LP4Q
Entry Name: Milestone
Listing Date: 12 September 1996
Last Amended: 12 September 1996
Source ID: 17284
Building Class: Transport
Location: Partly buried in the road verge, almost opposite the turning to Montgomery.
Community: Kerry (Ceri)
Traditional County: Montgomeryshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
An C18 milestone consisting of a round topped slab of stone inscribed: [Bishop's Castle] 7 Miles. [Churchstoke] 2 [Miles]
The stone has since been partially defaced by two bench marks.
Reasons for Listing
Included as only surviving original milestone erected following the 'Montgomeryshire Acts' of 1769 and 1773, marking the mile spacing along the road from Newtown to Bishop's Castle.
Other nearby listed buildings
Located on the hilltop above the main A.483 Kerry to Churchstoke road, on the minor road to Montgomery.
Located in the hamlet of Bacheldre immediately to the rear and at right angles to Bacheldre Farmhouse.
Located in the hamlet of Bacheldre opposite Bacheldre malthouse on low lying land. There is a courtyard to the front of the building, enclosed by a large L-shaped barn and a bakehouse to the rear.
Located in the hamlet of Bacheldre, enclosing the N and NE sides of the courtyard to the front of Bacheldre Farmhouse.
Located in the hamlet of Bacheldre close to Bacheldre Malthouse and Bacheldre Farmhouse on low lying ground. The house is fronted by a driveway and garden, with farm buildings to the S.
Farm buildings at Gwern-y-go
The farm buildings lie on the SE side and against the road from Kerry to Churchstoke, with the access to the farm on the SW side.
Located in a low lying position next to a stream which flows N into the River Caebitra.
It stands in a yard at right angles to the miller's house, a double depth, masonry building with alterations, a
Chirbury with Brompton, Shropshire, SY15