This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.7145 / 52°42'52"N
Longitude: -3.2587 / 3°15'31"W
OS Eastings: 315070
OS Northings: 313730
OS Grid: SJ150137
Mapcode National: GBR 9V.24C8
Mapcode Global: WH79F.X1F9
Entry Name: The Old Vicarage
Listing Date: 31 January 1953
Last Amended: 26 May 1995
Source ID: 7649
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Located above Meifod village, on the road to Llanfyllin, with views to the S.
Traditional County: Montgomeryshire
A parsonage house of 1720, for the Revd. Richard Derwas, or Canon John Humphries, vicar 1723-40, extended in the early C19 and again in 1877 for the Revd. Wynne Edwards.
Rubble stone with brick facade, rendered on E gable end, slate roof. Two storeys and attics, widened in the early C19 to improve domestic facilities, and extended further back with a 1 storey extension at the rear containing larder and servants' room. Small single storey wing with service entrance. Plan consists of central wide entrance hall with stair to rear, and flanking reception rooms. Gable stacks.
Colourwashed (Montgomery cream) brickwork 5 window bays wide with central gable. Central and high level plat bands. Central glazed door within moulded architrave over 3 semi-circular steps rising from former carriage drive at front. Twelve paned sashes above, also in raised frames with stone sill. On either side of centre a narrow recessed panel. Side bays also 12-pane sashes with heavy glazing bars and some original glass, within openings with 1 brick flat arches. Open eaves, and 2 small C19 dormers. Attic window in gable 9-pane single hung sashes. Gables coped on ogee cut kneelers. Secondary entrance, now main entrance a boarded door in stone and slated open porch at side.
Fine dog leg stair with turned balusters, doubled at foot. Plan otherwise changed in C19, with main drawing room relocated on to the first floor. Panelled reveals to windows.
Included as a fine and imposing house of its period, for which changes to accommodate later needs are documented in a plan of 1877 still at the house.
Other nearby listed buildings