This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.7153 / 52°42'54"N
Longitude: -3.2535 / 3°15'12"W
OS Eastings: 315419
OS Northings: 313803
OS Grid: SJ154138
Mapcode National: GBR 9V.25MS
Mapcode Global: WH79F.Z0WR
Entry Name: Pentre'r Gof (also known as Pentrego)
Listing Date: 31 January 1953
Last Amended: 26 May 1995
Source ID: 7650
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Located on a platform site in the valley of the Either Bach, 550m N of the crossroads in the centre of Meifod.
Traditional County: Montgomeryshire
Farmhouse. c.1600, with C17 cross wing, refurbished in C19, built first probably by the Phillips family who were resident in 1620 until the early-mid C18, to be followed by the Lloyds, the descent continuing through the Rocke and Williams-Wynn family. Said to have been the Vicarage before the C18 Vicarage was built, and to have been larger, although no evidence is now to be seen.
Brick painted with framing, and a timber framed cross wing, slate roof. Two storeys, 3 window bays, with central cross passage, kitchen to left, and beyond a small front parlour, a forward projecting wing of 2 bays at the E end. Stone 1-storey and attic building attached to the W gable end. Two square star-patterned 4-flue brick stacks. E cross wing is timber framed, with a stone E wall, the timber close studded on stone footings. Middle and upper rail forming a square panel at the wall top, infilled with braces forming oval shapes. Two original ogee-moulded cross windows to rear elevation and one on the side of the cross wing, and large C19 transomed paned windows of similar pattern with arch-headed openings, and radiused quarter-lights. Upper windows have evidence of C16-C17 moulded sills carved with low relief. Attached stone building has a paired window and small 2-light gabled dormer, and a covered external area over the gable door sheltering the pump.
Kitchen at W end has gable stack with ogee stops to the chamfered fire lintel. Two cross beams. Timber framed partition to the central cross passage, which leads to a C17 dog leg stair with turned balusters behind the heated parlour in the right bay. This parlour has a large stone fireplace with an oven on the right, now covered. The cross wing, originally of 2 rooms including a milk house at the rear, appears to be added, with a lateral stack attached to the back of the parlour stack. A small chamber leads through a panelled door on 'L' hinges off the front room, and has C17 panelled dado and built-in cupboard. On the first floor the chamber over the heated parlour has some late C17 panelling including a bolection-moulded fire surround and raised panel over. Oak cornice. Two-panelled fielded doors to closets and other similar doors.
Graded II* as an important and substantial C17 farmhouse which has good interior details.
Other nearby listed buildings