This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.5986 / 52°35'55"N
Longitude: -3.2001 / 3°12'0"W
OS Eastings: 318811
OS Northings: 300769
OS Grid: SJ188007
Mapcode National: GBR 9Y.96T4
Mapcode Global: WH79V.TYB6
Entry Name: No 2 (with attached outbuildings)
Listing Date: 26 October 1953
Last Amended: 21 August 1995
Source ID: 7674
Building Class: Domestic
Community: Berriew (Aberriw)
Built-Up Area: Berriew
Traditional County: Montgomeryshire
Probably originally built in the later C17, and restored by the Vaynor Estate c1850. The building may have been raised in height at some time, since the timbering of the upper storey is of less scantling. It is possible that this change was made during the C18, as the building was described as 'new' in 1764. Originally built as a single dwelling which was a public house (the plow inn) by 1804, it was converted into two cottages, probably as part of the restoration work of the Vaynor Estate in the mid C19. The outbuildings at each cottage may have been intended originally for agricultural or rural craft use - one was a tanhouse in 1764, while in more recent times, one served as a cooperage.
Box framed with painted brick plinth and nogging. Graded slate roof with large axial brick stack, with diagonally-set clustered shafts. Symmetrically laid out, each cottage has outer 2-light casement window, and off-centre doorway with 3-light casement window alongside it. C19 battened plank door survives in No 2. Windows all have small canopy hoods carried on moulded brackets (a detail typical of the Vaynor Estate). 2 dormers in the roof are each divided by a central mullion into paired casement windows, which also have small canopies. Each cottage has a flanking outbuilding: these are single storeyed, and are also timber framed with weather-boarding. The right hand building incorporates a small brick section adjacent to the house, with a 3-light casement window.
The cottages are well-preserved examples of the local tradition of timber-framing, bearing the signature of the Vaynor Estate in remodelling work which is also of special interest. They make a strong contribution to an exceptional conservation area.
Other nearby listed buildings