This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.5993 / 52°35'57"N
Longitude: -3.1999 / 3°11'59"W
OS Eastings: 318826
OS Northings: 300841
OS Grid: SJ188008
Mapcode National: GBR 9Y.96W3
Mapcode Global: WH79V.TXFP
Plus Code: 9C4RHRX2+P2
Entry Name: The Smithy
Listing Date: 26 October 1953
Last Amended: 21 August 1995
Source ID: 7672
Building Class: Industrial
Location: On the corner of Church Terrace and the B4390 road out of the village to the NE.
Community: Berriew (Aberriw)
Built-Up Area: Berriew
Traditional County: Montgomeryshire
The cottage was probably built towards the end of the C17: it certainly pre-dates the 1774 inscription, which may refer to alterations. In 1764 the house was described as timber with plastered walls and thatched roof, and consisted of a kitchen, chamber and buttery with smiths shop adjoining. It was altered by the Vaynor Estate c1850 - the prominent chimney, and perhaps the brick nogging, date from this time. The smithy which adjoins the cottage is probably contemporary with it (though with mid C19 extensions to the rear), but the stable which adjoins it was rebuilt after being destroyed by fire in 1981.
Timber framed with painted brick nogging, high brick plinth, and slate roof with massive brick gable end stack with 4 octagonal shafts. Box framed in square panels with continuous middle rail; queen post and collar strut truss visible in gable. Dated on the middle rail towards its right hand end, 1774, with initials E.G. Central doorway in gabled brick and timber porch, flanked by 2-light casement windows which have the bracketed hoods typical of Vaynor Estate work of the mid C19. 2 gabled dormers within the roof. Wide brick rear wing probably mid-late C19, with chamfered architraves to paired casement windows on each floor.
Lower outbuildings to the right comprise the former smithy and associated stabling: smithy is timber framed with brick nogging, and brick rear wing. Stabling (rebuilt following fire 1981) is partly brick but largely timber framed and weatherboarded. 3 stable doors facing onto rear yard.
Interior: Cottage has a 2-room plan, with stairs winding alongside gable end stack. Former service rooms accommodated in rear wing (dairy and tack rooms etc.), now converted for domestic use.
An excellent example of a smithy complex, with a well-preserved cottage which is of interest not only for the quality of its original vernacular construction, but also for its remodelling as an estate cottage in the C19.
Other nearby listed buildings