History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Nags Head PH

A Grade II Listed Building in Montgomery, Powys

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.5829 / 52°34'58"N

Longitude: -3.1912 / 3°11'28"W

OS Eastings: 319387

OS Northings: 299010

OS Grid: SO193990

Mapcode National: GBR 9Y.B90Z

Mapcode Global: WH7B1.YBKQ

Plus Code: 9C4RHRM5+5G

Entry Name: Nags Head PH

Listing Date: 26 October 1953

Last Amended: 21 August 1995

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 7687

Building Class: Commercial

Location: On the A483, almost opposite the junction with the B4385 Montgomery Road.

County: Powys

Community: Berriew (Aberriw)

Community: Berriew

Locality: Garthmyl

Traditional County: Montgomeryshire

Find accommodation in
Montgomery

History

There was a building on the site before the construction of the Montgomeryshire Canal but this was rebuilt c1820, and probably altered c1860 (note the blue brickwork in the upper window of the pedimented gable, in the dormer windows of the flanking blocks and the chimneys). The SW wing was formerly a post office, but is now a private house.

Exterior

Brick with slate roofs. Gable end stacks have stone copings, and blue brick bands. 2 storeyed, symmetrically planned with a central 3-window range, and slightly recessed flanking gabled wings (that to SW in separate occupation as Wayside). Central gabled bay advanced, with entrance in triple arched timber porch: the inner doorway has been renewed, but retains an overlight with marginal glazing and some coloured glass. Flanking windows of 3-lights, with a 2-light window over the doorway, and a similar attic window (with blue and red brick arched head) and 2-light windows on each floor in the outer gabled wings. All windows are small-paned iron casements with transoms and 'gothick' glazing bars in the upper lights. Windows in central range have segmentally arched heads, as do the lower windows in the flanking wings. The similar heads of the upper windows in the wings have alternate red and blue brick segmental arches, and the kneelers of their dormer gables are blue brick and stone. Similar corbels to central gable.

Reasons for Listing

A fine grouping retaining much of its original character.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Wayside
    On the A483, almost opposite the junction with the B4385 Montgomery Road.
  • II Telephone Call-box in front of Nag's Head PH
    Set to the rear of wide pavement at land in main road opposite the junction with the B4385 Montgomery Road.
  • II Former Nags Head Maltings
    Adjacent to the Nags Head Public House, to its north alongside the Montgomeryshire Canal.
  • II Bridge 131 over The Montgomeryshire Canal
    Carries the former main Newtown-Welshpool road over the Montgomery Canal immediately north of the Nags Head Public House.
  • II Former Canal Warehouse
    On the original line of the main Welshpool-Newtown road which is now set back from the present road line, built below the embankment of the Montgomeryshire Canal, 150m approx. N of the Nags Head Publi
  • II Stables at Garthmyl Hall
    Immediately NE of Garthmyl Hall.
  • II Southern Kiln-Bank at Garthmyl
    Built against the embankment of the Montgomeryshire Canal in open ground approx 300m N of the Nags Head Public House.
  • II Garthmyl House
    Reached via a straight tree-lined drive, 0.25 Km SE of the junction with the A483 main road. Situated on low lying land between the River Severn and the Montgomeryshire Canal.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.