History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Telephone Call-box in front of Nag's Head PH

A Grade II Listed Building in Montgomery, Powys

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.5828 / 52°34'58"N

Longitude: -3.1912 / 3°11'28"W

OS Eastings: 319384

OS Northings: 298998

OS Grid: SO193989

Mapcode National: GBR 9Y.B8ZM

Mapcode Global: WH7B1.YBJT

Plus Code: 9C4RHRM5+4G

Entry Name: Telephone Call-box in front of Nag's Head PH

Listing Date: 28 August 1990

Last Amended: 21 August 1995

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 8694

Building Class: Communications

Location: Set to the rear of wide pavement at land in main road opposite the junction with the B4385 Montgomery Road.

County: Powys

Community: Berriew (Aberriw)

Community: Berriew

Locality: Garthmyl

Traditional County: Montgomeryshire

Find accommodation in
Montgomery

History

K6 type square red kiosk of cast-iron construction to the standard design of Giles Gilbert Scott, architect, of London. Design introduced by GPO in 1936; this example dates from the reign of
King George VI. Foundry plate inscribed, ''Lion Foundry Co. Ltd, Kirkintilloch''.

Exterior

Domed roof with four lunettes containing embossed crowns over red lettered opals and ventilation slits. Raised surrounds to sides and door with marginal bars to horizontal glazing. Blank rear. Moulded plinth.

Reasons for Listing

Included for its excellent location adjoining the listed Nags Head PH and Wayside.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Wayside
    On the A483, almost opposite the junction with the B4385 Montgomery Road.
  • II Nags Head PH
    On the A483, almost opposite the junction with the B4385 Montgomery Road.
  • II Former Nags Head Maltings
    Adjacent to the Nags Head Public House, to its north alongside the Montgomeryshire Canal.
  • II Bridge 131 over The Montgomeryshire Canal
    Carries the former main Newtown-Welshpool road over the Montgomery Canal immediately north of the Nags Head Public House.
  • II Former Canal Warehouse
    On the original line of the main Welshpool-Newtown road which is now set back from the present road line, built below the embankment of the Montgomeryshire Canal, 150m approx. N of the Nags Head Publi
  • II Stables at Garthmyl Hall
    Immediately NE of Garthmyl Hall.
  • II Southern Kiln-Bank at Garthmyl
    Built against the embankment of the Montgomeryshire Canal in open ground approx 300m N of the Nags Head Public House.
  • II Garthmyl Hall
    Set back from the main A483 road among trees immediately SW of the junction with the B4385 at Garthmyl.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.