This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.5848 / 52°35'5"N
Longitude: -3.1905 / 3°11'25"W
OS Eastings: 319435
OS Northings: 299217
OS Grid: SO194992
Mapcode National: GBR 9Y.B94P
Mapcode Global: WH7B1.Y9W9
Entry Name: Former Canal Warehouse
Listing Date: 21 August 1995
Last Amended: 21 August 1995
Source ID: 16376
Building Class: Commercial
Location: On the original line of the main Welshpool-Newtown road which is now set back from the present road line, built below the embankment of the Montgomeryshire Canal, 150m approx. N of the Nags Head Publi
Community: Berriew (Aberriw)
Traditional County: Montgomeryshire
Originally built as a warehouse, with warehouse man's dwelling and weighbridge office, and part of the Montgomeryshire Canal wharf at Garthmyl. This was the terminus of the canal when it was first constructed in 1794-7, until it was continued to Newtown between 1815 and 1819-21. The warehouse was later converted into a house, probably c1850.
Rough random rubble with brick dressings and slate roof with brick end wall stacks. 2 storeyed, raised over a basement. 3-window range with central boarded and panelled door approached up steps to a terrace (marking the rear ground level of the canal wharf) with cast-iron rails. Flanking windows (dating from conversion to house, c1850) are 2-light casements with margin-lights, and all lower openings have single-ring cambered brick heads. Upper windows are similar. Dentilled eaves band. Adjoining the main house to the right is a lower building of painted brick, the original dwelling and weighbridge office: Original dwelling at the upper level, partly built over a continuation of the terrace wall in front of the former warehouse. 2-unit plan with central chimney. Small office below, with doorway to the right, and 2-light metal casement window with cambered head.
The buildings are of considerable historical interest as survivors of the early canal-port of Garthmyl, and the later conversion to domestic use is also indicative of the declining significance of Garthmyl as a port following the completion of the canal as far as Newtown. The dwelling in the former warehouse is also a good example of a mid C19 small vernacular house.
Other nearby listed buildings