History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Gaer

A Grade II Listed Building in Forden with Leighton and Trelystan (Ffordun gyda Tre'r-llai a Threlystan), Powys

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.5886 / 52°35'18"N

Longitude: -3.1688 / 3°10'7"W

OS Eastings: 320916

OS Northings: 299619

OS Grid: SO209996

Mapcode National: GBR 9Z.B2HC

Mapcode Global: WH7B2.969B

Entry Name: The Gaer

Listing Date: 26 October 1953

Last Amended: 20 March 1998

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 7708

Building Class: Domestic

Location: Located on a river terrace overlooking the valley of the River Camlad to the SE, at the southern end of the community.

County: Powys

Community: Forden with Leighton and Trelystan (Ffordun gyda Tre'r-llai a Threlystan)

Community: Forden with Leighton and Trelystan

Locality: Thornbury

Traditional County: Montgomeryshire

Find accommodation in
Montgomery

History

The Gaer is an important site, taking its name from the Roman fort placed in the fields below. The present building is of the mid-late C18 perhaps reworked in early C20.

Exterior

Roughcast brick with slate roofs. Two storeys, a main-NE-SW range containing the main reception rooms, with a short rear wing at each end. The main SE front is of 5 bays to rhythm a-b-a-b-a, with tripartite 12- and 9-pane sash windows in the bays a, the upper windows provided with louvred shutters. The second bay has a pedimented doorcase, with a 6-panel beaded door and a rose on the entablature fascia, and 9-pane sash window to the first floor above. A later glazed door with a pediment is now set in the second bay b. The central 3 bays have, above the moulded cornice, a triangular pediment with a small central oculus. Gable stacks of brick with yellow clayware pots. A similar stack is placed centrally at the rear of the main range. Nineteenth century 12-pane sashes to the rear range and gable stacks. Offset, and attached to the NE end is a parallel 2-bay building of painted brick with a gable stack, and C19 paned timber windows with cambered heads to ground floor.

Interior

Not accessible at the time of inspection (October 1996).

Reasons for Listing

Included as a fine example of a stylish C18 building for a major farm in the area.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.