History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Bank House

A Grade II Listed Building in Newcastle Emlyn, Carmarthenshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0393 / 52°2'21"N

Longitude: -4.4668 / 4°28'0"W

OS Eastings: 230902

OS Northings: 240746

OS Grid: SN309407

Mapcode National: GBR D7.FQPF

Mapcode Global: VH3KM.J0FJ

Entry Name: Bank House

Listing Date: 5 August 1991

Last Amended: 5 August 1991

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 9689

Building Class: Domestic

Location: Situated on corner of Bridge Street and Market Place.

County: Carmarthenshire

Community: Newcastle Emlyn (Castellnewydd Emlyn)

Community: Newcastle Emlyn

Built-Up Area: Newcastle Emlyn

Traditional County: Carmarthenshire

Find accommodation in
Newcastle Emlyn

History

Bank House was probably the birthplace of Anna Adalisa Evans (Allen Raine) (1836-1906) whose father, Benjamin Evans, was a solicitor in Bridge Street. Photograph of circa 1900 shows door in place of W front left window and shopfront carried around corner. Windows had different stucco heads and gables had pedimental treatment.

Exterior

Early C19 house, roughcast with slate roof hipped on ridge down to 2 south facing gables. Brick N stack with moulded slate cap. Two and a half storeys, 2-window range to W side with 2 first floor cambered headed 12-pane sashes, similar to those on Bridge Pharmacy adjoining. Raised stucco labels and slate sills. Flat boarded eaves with stick brackets. Ground floor window to left with C20 glazing and, to right, 3-light C20 shop window; then wall is slightly set back, corresponding to roof hip above, suggesting that S front may be a later addition. One ground floor door on W side.

S front has twin gables with semicircular headed attic windows, small-paned with radiating bar heads. Three long first floor sashes with marginal glazing bars, cambered heads and stucco labels. Altered ground floor with C20 window and flat-roofed porch in angle to Royal Oak Mews.

Reasons for Listing

Group value.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Town Hall & Market Buildings
    Prominently sited at centre of town, on former market place at junction with Castle Street.
  • II The Blue Bell Inn
    Situated on street line at upper end of Bridge Street opposite the end of Castle Street.
  • II* The Bunch of Grapes Inn
    Situated at upper end of street, prominently canted to face towards bridge.
  • II Former Victoria Stores
    Situated at corner of Church Street, on street line.
  • II Castle Antiques
    Situated on street line at end of terrace row facing over rear court of Market Buildings. Also known as Foelallt View. Terraced row is commonly known as Market Street, but marked as Market Square on
  • II Castle House
    Situated at western end of Castle Street, adjoining entry to St John's Court.
  • II Golwg Yr Afon
    Situated on street line in terraced row overlooking rear courtyard of Market Buildings.
  • II Bronafon & Teifi Dene
    Situated on street line with front doors raised on terraces.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.