This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.2203 / 52°13'13"N
Longitude: -4.2305 / 4°13'49"W
OS Eastings: 247730
OS Northings: 260354
OS Grid: SN477603
Mapcode National: GBR DK.2994
Mapcode Global: VH3JS.MGC8
Plus Code: 9C4Q6QC9+4R
Entry Name: St Non's Church ( previously listed as Llanerchaeron Church)
Listing Date: 3 June 1964
Last Amended: 23 May 1996
Source ID: 9764
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Situated on the S side of by-road, reached off A482. Some 2.5km SE of Aberaeron and some 100m W of Llanerchaeron.
Community: Ciliau Aeron
Community: Ciliau Aeron
Traditional County: Cardiganshire
Built 1798 for William Lewis of Llanerchaeron, possibly to designs by John Nash, architect, who remodelled Llanerchaeron in 1794. Restored 1878 by F.Fowler of Brecon, architect. The original stucco and battlements illustrated by Meyrick, were removed in a restoration of 1895 by David Davies architect of Penrhiw-llan, the interior is mostly of this date. The dome of the tower was replaced c.1960.
Single chamber church, W tower with dome. Rubble construction, originally stuccoed. Low plinth. Slate roof with overhanging eaves. Decorative iron finial to E gable. Three pointed windows each side with stone voussoirs and timber cusped Y-tracery of 1895. E window similar, but with 3 lights and intersecting tracery. Pointed priest's door on S side, boarded door and stone voussoirs. Slightly projecting low W tower with blank quatrefoil each side. Pointed W door, paired boarded and studded doors. Stone voussoirs. Inserted pointed window to left with brick head. Plain stone dripmould at mid-height, broken back to sides (originally were continuous until battlements were removed). Cruciform loop above, containing crucifix. Large pointed belfry openings with timber louvres and stone voussoirs. Stringcourse with plain stepped stone cornice above. Short corner pinnacles (replacing taller ones), metal-clad octagonal dome (1960 replacement of original dome).
Pointed doors each side of tower entry and plaque recording building date and 1878 restoration. Pointed door to nave. 1895 arch-braced roof with kingposts and curved struts. Raised chancel and sanctuary. On W side, two early plaques: to left of door, un-named crudely carved relief of lion with incised trumpeting angel below and graffito dates of 1758 and 1775. On the right, memorial to John Lewis (d1738), with Greek inscription below. Simple pedimented plaque to J.W.Lewis (d1855) by T.Marsh of London.
Historically important late C18 estate church, possibly an early design by John Nash (later altered).
Other nearby listed buildings