History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Abermydr

A Grade II Listed Building in Ciliau Aeron, Ceredigion

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2208 / 52°13'14"N

Longitude: -4.2336 / 4°14'0"W

OS Eastings: 247521

OS Northings: 260414

OS Grid: SN475604

Mapcode National: GBR DK.28JM

Mapcode Global: VH3JS.KFRX

Entry Name: Abermydr

Listing Date: 15 April 1994

Last Amended: 23 May 1996

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 14490

Building Class: Domestic

Location: Midway between main A482 and Llanerchaeron on N side of by-road.

County: Ceredigion

Community: Ciliau Aeron

Community: Ciliau Aeron

Locality: Llanerchaeron

Traditional County: Cardiganshire

Find accommodation in
Llanerch-Aeron

History

Thought to have been built c.1794, probably to the designs of John Nash, architect, who was then remodelling Llanerchaeron for the Lewis family. Abermydr was apparently built for the coachman of Llanerchaeron. A drawing of c.1840 shows a broadly octagonal cottage with tree-trunk verandah, thatched roof and gothic windows, clearly an early exercise in the cottage orne style: as such an important Nash work, showing that his ideas on the Picturesque evolved during his five/six years in Carmarthen, before his famous London career (compare the similar (ruined) lodge at Ridgeway, Llawhadden in Pembs, also attributed to Nash). These lodges in their original style previewed Nash's internationally-known works like Blaise Hamlet, Bristol (1811). Abermydr was extended by two bays in the later C19. In recent years, this was the home of the Welsh Artist, George Chapman.

Exterior

Single storey and attic colourwashed cottage with polygonal end to left: the addition of the two left bays has resulted in the matching polygonal end. Slate roof (replacing thatch) continued over full-length verandah carried on chamfered timber posts (replacing tree-trunks). Rubble end chimney stacks; that to the left has been pared down to make room for an attic. Gabled dormer inserted in late C19 with later 7-pane Y-tracery window. The three closely spaced left hand bays represent the original front. Pointed arched openings: central boarded door, window each side with later 7-pane glazing. The two right windows belong to the later C19 extending, arched windows as above, but wider: 7-pane Y-tracery windows. Cobbled pavement below verandah. Cross-range to rear, to which has been added a conservatory: the E side has a window with intersecting glazing bars.

Interior

Internally, the timber stair follows the line of the former polygonal right end, the walls of which are still visible. Boarded doors. Roof structure of roughly hewn timbers. Studio to right was originally storeyed.

Reasons for Listing

Listed for its special interest as a late C18 estate cottage, probably designed by the nationally important architect, John Nash.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.