This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.1983 / 52°11'53"N
Longitude: -4.2788 / 4°16'43"W
OS Eastings: 244353
OS Northings: 258014
OS Grid: SN443580
Mapcode National: GBR DH.3PB7
Mapcode Global: VH3JY.S0BL
Plus Code: 9C4Q5PXC+8F
Entry Name: Neuadd
Listing Date: 3 June 1964
Last Amended: 16 February 1996
Source ID: 9776
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated about 1 km W of Oakford village, on N side of lane to Llanarth.
Locality: Neuadd / Derwen-gam
Traditional County: Cardiganshire
1807-10 gentry house. The estate had been owned by the Griffiths family from C17, the heiress married the Rev James Brooks and their son John Brooks (d1821) rebuilt the house 1807-10. The building accounts total £1,278/6/6d, the carpenter was Richard James. Brooks left the estate to the Hon G. W. Edwardes, later Lord Kensington (d 1878). Contents sold 1843, estate sold 1879. 1887 bought by H.T. Evans (d1908), who produced a weekly Welsh newspaper 'Y Brython Cymreig' at Neuadd, and wrote 'Rebecca and her Daughters', the first history of the Rebecca uprisings. The house has also been known as Noyadd Llanarth.
Whitewashed roughcast and rubble stone, with slate hipped pyramid roof, large eaves brackets and rendered stacks, one behind roof apex, one on junction to service range. Two storeys. Two-winow SE entrance front with three-window service range to right. Three-window SW garden front. Exposed stone high plinth all around. Main house has 12-pane sashes to first floor, ground floor entrance front has 12-pane sash to left under dummy fanlight, and door to right under matching stilted fanlight. The fanlight appears above a two-column Roman Doric porch. Double 3-panel doors within. Ground floor of garden front has 12-pane sash each side with blank arch over, and had a centre pair of 12-pane sashes under shallow elliptical arch, but left window is blocked. NW side has 12-pane sash each floor to right, and big arched stair-light to left, with radiating-bar head. C20 lean-to. Service wing, to right of entrance front is lower, 3-window, 2-storey with 6-pane square sashes under eaves, 12-pane sashes below and roof hipped to right end. Big chimney on rear roof slope. Rear is two-storey with 6, 8 and 6-pane upper windows, 12, 16 and 12-pane below. End wall has door up outside steps with small-paned overlight.
Early C19 interiors, with 6-panel doors, panelled shutters, marble fireplaces with reeded jambs and lintels and roundels at angles. Stick baluster dog-leg staircase.
A little altered gentry house of the early C19.
Other nearby listed buildings