History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Vestry attached to left of Llwyncelyn Independent Chapel

A Grade II Listed Building in Henfynyw, Ceredigion

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2114 / 52°12'41"N

Longitude: -4.2825 / 4°16'57"W

OS Eastings: 244145

OS Northings: 259476

OS Grid: SN441594

Mapcode National: GBR DH.2VSR

Mapcode Global: VH3JR.QPC3

Entry Name: Vestry attached to left of Llwyncelyn Independent Chapel

Listing Date: 3 June 1964

Last Amended: 21 February 1996

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 9798

Building Class: Domestic

Location: Situated on right side of lane fron Llwyncelyn to Oakford, in iron-railed forecourt.

County: Ceredigion

Community: Henfynyw

Community: Henfynyw

Locality: Llwyncelyn

Traditional County: Cardiganshire

Find accommodation in
Llanarth

History

Built 1855 as a branch of Neuaddlwyd on land bought from the Plas y Wern estate. Chapel is said to have been designed by one of the deacons, Thomas Evansof Pontbrenddu, Oakford.

Exterior

Coursed squared stone with slate roof and bracketted eaves. Lateral facade of two large arched windows with arched plaque between and tall arched outer doors. Stone voussoirs. Windows are 24-pane with radiating-bar heads, door are 2-panel with both 5-pane overlights and radiating-bar fanlights above. Slate hung raer over rubble stone high plinth. Two square headed long 32-pane sashes. 16-pane sash to upper level each end wall. Slate-hung S gable end above attached roughcast vestry. Slate roof, roughcast end stack and big 16-pane pivot window to upper floor front over small ground floor window. Door in end wall. Parellel-roofed windowless range behind.

Interior

Handsome interior with three-sided gallery on plain iron columns with capitals. Gallery front with simple cornices above and below and vertical panels.Curved angles. Box pews, raked, painted-grained and panelled both in main part and gallery. Later pine great seat. Timber panelled original pulpit, painted grained, with curved angles, raised high on panelled base, with single flight of steps up from right. Thin plaster arch behind. Lobbies in angles with multi-pane windows filled with coloured glass. Plaster 3-sided ceiling with simple centre rose.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Llwyncelyn Independent Chapel
    Situated on right side of lane from Llwyncelyn to Oakford, in iron-railed forecourt.
  • II Milestone on A487 at Llwyncelyn
    Situated on the SE side of the A487, approximately 170m NE of the crossroads in the centre of Llwyncelyn.
  • II St David's Well
    Situated on the E side of the A487 some 60m S of Capel Ffos-y-yffin.
  • II Milestone SW of Castell Pigyn
    Situated on S side of A 487 some 150m SW of Castell Pigyn, 1.2 km NE of Llanarth.
  • II Ffos-y-ffin Chapel
    Situated on W side of A 487 in Ffos-y-ffin, set back in courtyard flanked by later chapel house and 1927 vestry.
  • II Outbuildings to NE of Neuadd
    Situated about 1 km W of Oakford village, on N side of lane to Llanarth.
  • II Neuadd
    Situated about 1 km W of Oakford village, on N side of lane to Llanarth.
  • II The Coach-house
    Situated some 150m SE of Neuadd, fronting onto entrance drive.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.