This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.1454 / 52°8'43"N
Longitude: -4.0623 / 4°3'44"W
OS Eastings: 258983
OS Northings: 251680
OS Grid: SN589516
Mapcode National: GBR DS.6WJP
Mapcode Global: VH4GQ.JBTQ
Plus Code: 9C4Q4WWQ+43
Entry Name: Derry Ormond Tower
Listing Date: 28 February 1952
Last Amended: 24 February 1997
Source ID: 9820
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated very prominently overlooking the Dulas valley from a 219 m spur of hill between the two minor valleys of the Afon Denys and Nant Dyfel. Reached across fields from Penparc Farm.
Locality: Betws Bledrws
Traditional County: Cardiganshire
Eye-catcher column built for John Jones of Derry Ormond 1821-4, to design of Charles James of Llanddewi Brefi `inventor of the Tower at Derry Ormond and the Romantic Arch at Hafod'. The design may have been suggested by C.R. Cockerell, architect of the new house at Derry Ormond 1824-5 whose notebooks apparently have sketches of various existing monumental columns. David J. Morgan, of Brynmaen, Llanddewi Brefi, (1797-1872) is called "the contractor and builder of the Derry Ormond Tower" on his gravestone at Betws Bledrws. The column was built to relieve unemployment.
Monumental column on very large square pedestal, of some 38.7 m overall. Coursed squared rubble stone. The pedestal is all to a very large scale: 8.3 m high, 4.3 m wide. Two-step plinth, tall main part, pierced on E side for pointed doorway with stone voussoirs. Door infilled in concrete block. Far projecting two-step cornice of rough stone. The column itself, of 31.4 m, has a square plinth, rounded base, and tall shaft with some entasis or swelling, 3.8 m diameter at base. At the top, a neck ring and then an eroded band of corbelling now under slate slabs, but apparently once a viewing platform. The top was consolidated in concrete in 1971. Narrow loops to light stair are pierced through the shaft at various points.
Now blocked, has a stone winding stair.
Listed Grade II* as one of the most prominent romantic monuments in the region, of which the Pendinas Column of 1853 at Aberystwyth is the only other of similar form.
Other nearby listed buildings