History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Bridge at Derry Ormond

A Grade II Listed Building in Llangybi, Ceredigion

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1489 / 52°8'56"N

Longitude: -4.0583 / 4°3'29"W

OS Eastings: 259265

OS Northings: 252071

OS Grid: SN592520

Mapcode National: GBR DS.6Q10

Mapcode Global: VH4GQ.L7WY

Entry Name: Bridge at Derry Ormond

Listing Date: 10 March 2003

Last Amended: 10 March 2003

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 80945

Building Class: Gardens, Parks and Urban Spaces

Location: Within the park of the former Derry Ormond mansion, about 200m W of Betws Bledrws.

County: Ceredigion

Community: Llangybi

Community: Llangybi

Locality: Betws Bledrws

Traditional County: Cardiganshire

Find accommodation in
Llanfair Clydogau

History

The house at Derry Ormond, described in 1833 as an "elegant modern mansion" was designed by the distinguished architect C R Cockerell in the 1820s, but demolished in 1953. The bridge, also by Cockerell, is associated with the landscape park of the house. When the lake above was in water, the circular overflow holes flanking the main arch appeared as arches.
The park is entered in the Cadw/Icomos Register of Landscapes, Parks and gardens of special interest in Wales Ref No PGW (Dy) 48 (Cer).

Exterior

Stone bridge with large central arch flanked by large circular overflow holes, in turn flanked by smaller semi-circular holes at ends of bridge. Parapets of bridge partly ruinous, but have quartz lumps set into tops where they survive to full height. Pair of iron gates between slender iron posts at N end of bridge.

Reasons for Listing

Fine garden bridge by this important architect, a significant part of the early C19 landscaped park.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Lodge
    Situated on E side of T-junction of A485 and minor road running N from Betws Bledrws village towards Derry Ormond.
  • II Telephone Call-box by Glennydd and Ivy Cottage (01570 493319)
    Situated on S side of A 485 in Betws Bledrws village, on forecourt to pair of houses N of Betws Bledrws church.
  • II* Derry Ormond Tower
    Situated very prominently overlooking the Dulas valley from a 219 m spur of hill between the two minor valleys of the Afon Denys and Nant Dyfel. Reached across fields from Penparc Farm.
  • II Fynnon Gybi
    Situated to SW of village, on N side of A485, reached by steps down opposite Maesyffynnon Chapel.
  • II Pont Llangybi
    Situated in Llangybi village, just S of Llangybi church on short stretch of road left disused by rerouting of A485.
  • II Railings surrounding tomb of J. Evans, Tanygraig at Capel Bethel.
    Situated in graveyard to rear of Bethel Baptist Chapel.
  • II Church of St Cybi
    Situated in Llangybi village, on N side of A485, just N of Pont Gybi.
  • II Bethel Baptist Chapel
    Situated on N side of lane to Silian some 400m W of Junction with A485 at Glendenys.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.