This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.4313 / 52°25'52"N
Longitude: -4.0551 / 4°3'18"W
OS Eastings: 260378
OS Northings: 283470
OS Grid: SN603834
Mapcode National: GBR 8T.MS8N
Mapcode Global: VH4FC.N4LZ
Entry Name: Plas Cwmcynfelin
Listing Date: 21 January 1964
Last Amended: 12 November 1997
Source ID: 9838
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated down drive on E side of B4572, on steep hillside to S of Dyffryn Clarach, overlooking Llangorwen church.
Traditional County: Cardiganshire
Later C18 country-house built c1770-5 for 'Mr Davies', grandfather to M D Williams and Rev Isaac Williams, who were prominent in the construction of All Saints' Church in 1839-41. Recorded as 'Cwm Mansion' on 1847 Tithe Map, owned by M D Williams. C R Cockerell records in his diary that the architect was a Mr Dixon of London, either Joseph Dixon or his brother Richard, both bankrupt in 1778, so presumably house was built before then. Stables designed by C R Cockerell in 1825. Later W cross-wing has 1875 date on a downpipe. Converted to a home for the elderly c1980.
Medium-sized country house. Coursed rubble stone without quoining, of local Silurian shales, with slated hipped low roofs. Five-window double-pile main with shallow-pitched roofs and painted corniced ashlar parapets. Two W end stone stacks, no chimneys at E end. Two-storeys to S (entrance) front and 3-storeys to rear, N. Openings throughout have stone voussoirs to flat heads and painted slate sills. S front has 1-3-1-bay elevation, the centre slightly recessed, raised ground floor sill band and plinth band, plastic windows replacing 12-pane sashes, except for ground floor right large French window (also replacing an original sash). Central white-painted Classical porch, with square columns and entablature. Wide 6-panel door with 4 glazed panels and 2 fielded panels. Basement with C20 timber windows. E gable end has 3-storey, 3-window range, 2 blank windows with painted glazing bars to first floor, and second floor has one blank window one 12-pane sash and one casement pair. Plinth and sill bands from S front ground floor continue under first floor here and on N front. N elevation is similar in detail to S front, with windows renewed in earlier openings (plastic sashes except ground floor which has C20 timber windows). Paired string courses to first floor. Centre porch with square piers and entablature, glazed sides and front with half-glazed door.
W end crosswing is hipped, dated 1875 on N downpipe but may in fact be earlier C19. 2-storey one-window S end, 5-window W front, 2-storey at S and falling with slope to 3-storey 2-window N end. N has arched ground floor door, corbelled chimney breast central to first and second floors with plastic 12-pane window each side on both floors. W facade has central arched ground floor door with arched window to left, upper floors have tripartite sashes in two bays to left, sashes in 2 bays to right and centre window altered for fire-escape. S end has late C19 timber oriel to ground floor with corniced roof and small-paned top-lights. Small pair of 4-pane sashes above. Truncated chimney to first floor right.
Much original internal detail survives. Fine entrance hall with moulded cornice, dado and tall skirting-boards. Doors are mainly 6-panel with wide architraves. Open stair-well over entrance, with open-string, stick-baluster stair to right. Central corridor to left.
The house is a relatively rare example in the county of a later C18 country house, and retains much of its character (including a fine stair-hall), notwithstanding alterations to fenestration.
Other nearby listed buildings