This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.4323 / 52°25'56"N
Longitude: -4.0541 / 4°3'14"W
OS Eastings: 260448
OS Northings: 283574
OS Grid: SN604835
Mapcode National: GBR 8T.MSKB
Mapcode Global: VH4FC.P447
Entry Name: Hen-gwm
Listing Date: 12 November 1997
Last Amended: 12 November 1997
Source ID: 19071
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated on the E side of the B 4572 approached by drive some 200m S of Pont Llangorwen.
Traditional County: Cardiganshire
Earlier C19 house much enlarged in mid to later C19 for the Cwmcynfelin estate. In 1841 used as vicarage by the Rev Lewis Gilbertson, first vicar of All Saints' Church, Llangorwen. No building is shown in this location on the O.S. map of 1823, but it is possible that an earlier building was remodelled as one chimney looks of older date. Occupied in 1881 by John Clarke, estate gamekeeper. Ffynnon-ddu has similar latticed glazing and is dated 1864.
Two-storey, approximately L-plan estate farmhouse, with older part the W cross-wing, and long E wing apparently built in 2 phases. Whitewashed stucco on main W and N fronts, whitewashed rubble-stone to rear S side. Slate roofs, with small slates, and flush eaves and verges, except for W wing, which has a projecting N verge. Yellow-brick gable-end chimneys and one ridge stack on E wing. Windows generally 2-light casements with timber latticed glazing-bars.
W range has very substantial external stone chimney breast raised in brick at S end, indicating an earlier building remodelled, and a small yellow brick N stack. 2 ground-floor windows off-set to left, and 2 slightly smaller, evenly spaced upper windows. Lean-to on S end with C 20 glazed-door, and apparent end entry into W range next to end-chimney. N gable-end has 2 similar windows each floor. Long range (the E wing) set-back to left, the ridge stack marking construction break. Right inner part has 4-panel door to right, with 2 glazed panels. Moulded door-hood over with house name and unclear date, either 1642 or 1842. Window to left and 2 smaller windows above. Left part has 2 window range, similar detail. E gable end has door to left of centre, with a single latticed upper panel. Small casement over. Both openings have brick cambered-heads. Plastic French window on left of door. Rear S side is rubble stone, outshut.
Listed as a distinctively detailed estate farmhouse with unusual timber latticed glazing.
Other nearby listed buildings